Another newbie joined the forum

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guanyu210379

Another newbie joined the forum

Post by guanyu210379 »

Hello everyone,
after receiving bombardments of malwares and viruses on windows just now, I have started to look for another OS for my secondary OS during the Os repair.
I heard there is no or less virus if I am using Linux.
After some searching I found some screenies of Mint 9, I am very intrested of having one on my system.
Since I am a complete newbie in Linux (not to mention Mint 9), I will be needing your help, so...
I wanna thank you all in advance, and nice to meet ya
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kentw

Re: Another newbie joined the forum

Post by kentw »

Hallo there , i am using Linux Mint 64-bit ( standard edition ) since May this year and i am very pleased with its functionality .
Installation is easy with some basic questions ( like in Windows ) and after installation i was surprised how everything just works .
I have tried / explored Ubuntu , Mandriva , Debian and Kubuntu and i like Ubuntu best of them .
But i consider Mint as my 1 st choise cause it is userfriendly and everything just works as it should and it behavour with no big surprises .

Regards Kent
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

kentw wrote:Installation is easy with some basic questions ( like in Windows ) and after installation i was surprised how everything just works .
I have tried / explored Ubuntu , Mandriva , Debian and Kubuntu and i like Ubuntu best of them .
I also use and love the Mint Main (Gnome) x64 edition. With Mint, it's like you are using the most popular Linux distro (Ubuntu), but on steroids. Clem and his team have done a great job in setting Mint apart from the rest.

Tom
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello guanyu210379,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
guanyu210379

Post by guanyu210379 »

Thank you for the replies, and nice to meet you all. :D
kentw

Post by kentw »

Hallo everybody , Tom i agree , you find a funny and consist explanation how Mint acts ( steroids :D ) :
With Mint, it's like you are using the most popular Linux distro (Ubuntu), but on steroids.
I will try Google Crome as Firefox ( 3.6.8 version ) is opening pages very slowly when i use many windows , the updatericon ( in tray ) shows my system is updated .

Kent
kentw

Post by kentw »

Nice to meet you too guanyu210379 , i am browsing with Google Chromium and it responds very accurate .

Kent
guanyu210379

Post by guanyu210379 »

OK...now to an internet issue...
How come I have problems opening facebook flash games?
I can not get it running and firefox windows turned grey each time I click on the games...after a while...connection can not established message..
Is there something I could do get it running?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I'd suggest starting a new thread in Software & Applications with that issue.
You are probably not the only one experiencing that problem
guanyu210379

Post by guanyu210379 »

Actually I have done some searching in this forum, and it has solved my first Mint problem.
Wow...only less than 30 mins of installation and updates...I have all of my basic needs...
OpenOffice (using that also with windows)
pdf
flash
torrent
VLC (the same software also with windows)
pidgin
etc.
even my hard to install hardwares on windows (printer and wlan) are already installed and ready to use just in a very short time.
This kinda OS and you can get it for free?
Shame on you Microsoft!!
jesica

Post by jesica »

lol

welcome and glad you like it

Return to “Introduce Yourself”