[solved]printer driver for hp 6500

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]printer driver for hp 6500

Post by houndhen »

Mint 9 fluxbox 32 bit

Printer HP (all-in-one) Officejet 6500

Mint didn't list a driver. I went to HP and they didn't list any driver for Linux for this model.

I am quite lost when trying to deal with CUPS.

Has anyone else gotten this printer to work with this Mint version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Re: printer driver for hp 6500

Post by houndhen »

I clicked on the link but am lost as to what to do next. Do I click on something here 'Generic Instructions: CUPS, LPD, LPRng, PPR, PDQ, no spooler'?
Thanks,
Harold
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi,

Well, the link shows that your printer should work perfectly with the hplip drivers and toolbox. As with anything else, the first place you should look when you want to install something is the package manager.

Open up Software Manager and search for hplip. It should give you 6 packages. I suggest installing all of them just to be safe. Mainly you should install hplip, hplip-cups, hplip-data, hplip-gui. After that, It would probably be better to reboot so that CUPS (the printing system) can detect the new drivers... Then open up System Tools > System Tools > HPLIP Toolbox. Try configuring your printer from there. I don't have an HP printer so that's about as far as I can guide you. If you need to configure in CUPS go to System Tools > System Tools > Printing or you can even use the web UI if you find that easier http://localhost:631
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

Thanks shane, for the info. I don't really understand that much about CUPS, HPLIP, etc when it comes to setting up a printer in Linux. I know..read and study. Most distros that I have installed in the past just recognize the printer when I turn it on. Spoiled I guess. I do like Mint and also Fluxbox. I have been using KDE for some time but to me Fluxbox has some things that I like better than XFCE. Probably because I don't know my way around XFCE that well.
Thanks,
Harold
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

So did you try it? Adding a new printer should not be any more difficult than in other distros or OSs.
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

shane wrote:So did you try it? Adding a new printer should not be any more difficult than in other distros or OSs.
I just got back to it after installing the 6 things needed. It worked. Thanks for the help.
Thanks,
Harold
vu19

Re: [solved]printer driver for hp 6500

Post by vu19 »

Thanks for the info. Just purchased the printer and works great on mint!

Return to “Software & Applications”