Grub Install in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Grub Install in LMDE

Post by Harley51 »

During install I noticed on LMD that it had two chooses where to install grub. One was sda and the other sdb. So I stopped the install. I would like to install grub to the root partition. Is there a chose later in the install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Grub Install in LMDE

Post by remoulder »

sda is your 1st hard drive, sdb your 2nd. Where you put grub is going to depend on which drive/partition you are installing to and what other OSes/boot managers you have.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Harley51 »

I need grub to install on sdb12.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Those of us with 3rd party bootloaders seem to be in a conundrum here. You've got two options at install for grub: MBR or nowhere. There seems to be an update but it's not going to do you any good until a new iso is released with that update: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=54810
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Red Bow Tie

Post by Red Bow Tie »

I'll second everyone else here. I have a 3rd party bootloader. All my Linux distros are put in / or sda1 not sda. Seems as if this is a major failing of LMDE as I can't use it until this is corrected. Any news about a fix?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

So what are folks using for a third party bootloaders are everyone using that Mint is messing with? Thanks
jrt_ms1995

Post by jrt_ms1995 »

monkeyboy wrote:So what are folks using for a third party bootloaders are everyone using that Mint is messing with? Thanks
GAG, in my case.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I moved this here from Installation & Boot
It is a better place for it
oscar799
Forum Admin
Red Bow Tie

Post by Red Bow Tie »

BootIT NG in my case. I have used the sudo update-grub in another Linux distro to boot LMDE but it would be nice to not have to go through the extra step and boot LMDE directly. I've never seen this on any other distro, where you have only the mbr as the installation for Grub. Of course, I've only tried perhaps 15-20 different distros at one time or another, but none have this shortcoming.

Return to “LMDE Archive”