Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint Debian

Post by bug67 »

HaTeMe wrote:I think it is more useful if you tell us what the Terminal say to you when u start Solitair or something like that.
Just tested Open Arena for the Drivers and that works fine.

Sounds like a GDM issue?
You know, you're right. I've become so GUI dependent, I didn't even think about trying to run it in terminal. Will do when I get home from work and post results.
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

tdockery97 wrote:
bug67 wrote:Speaking of software, one of the first things I did was install gnome games. When I went to launch Solitaire, nothing happened. I need to investigate further.
Same thing happened to me with the Aisleriot Solitaire. Please post if you figure it out.
I just installed Gnome Games to see if I can duplicate the problem. Unfortunately, all the games start fine for me--no problem. Sorry about that. Only thing I can think of is that there is a fair amount of dependencies that install along with Gnome Games. Perhaps reinstalling might help?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
colyn

Post by colyn »

lwrver wrote:Has anyone else tried importing bookmarks from firefox in LM9 to firefox in LMDE? When I tried importing "bookmarks.html" from a thumb drive exported from LM9 it only imports a small part of the file. No indication of an error, it just doesn't copy the whole file. It looks like the file on the thumb drive is being locked after starting the import transfer of data. Could this be a bug?? :?
I imported my bookmarks.html file from my Mint 9 with no problems. They all are in place..
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

colyn wrote:
lwrver wrote:Has anyone else tried importing bookmarks from firefox in LM9 to firefox in LMDE? When I tried importing "bookmarks.html" from a thumb drive exported from LM9 it only imports a small part of the file. No indication of an error, it just doesn't copy the whole file. It looks like the file on the thumb drive is being locked after starting the import transfer of data. Could this be a bug?? :?
I imported my bookmarks.html file from my Mint 9 with no problems. They all are in place..
Why not just import the json backup file rather than the exported html file?
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Hi,
I have a couple of questions:
the most important (to my software uses)..does Mint Debian use PulseAudio, and if so, can it be removed without taking a lot of important stuff with it?

of secondary importance: does it use PackageKit or the same by some other name, as a software management tool?

I recently started a migration from Fedora to Mint, because of these issues, and if Mint Debian promises to minimize or eliminate those, I would be very interested in it.

Regards,
Bob
shayney

Post by shayney »

Mint's equivalent of packagekit is synaptic.
It is much more fully featured than packagekit.

Mint debian also uses mint update manager to keep everything up to date.
Mint (ubuntu) has it's own software centre also with ratings etc. I haven't actually checked if it's in the debian edition but I would assume so.
Software management wise, debian and it's variants have always been far ahead of any other distro (in my opinion).
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

kmb42vt wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:
bug67 wrote:Speaking of software, one of the first things I did was install gnome games. When I went to launch Solitaire, nothing happened. I need to investigate further.
Same thing happened to me with the Aisleriot Solitaire. Please post if you figure it out.
I just installed Gnome Games to see if I can duplicate the problem. Unfortunately, all the games start fine for me--no problem. Sorry about that. Only thing I can think of is that there is a fair amount of dependencies that install along with Gnome Games. Perhaps reinstalling might help?
I think my n00bness is showing. I tried launching in terminal by typing (without quotes) "aisleriot-solitaire", just "aisleriot" and just "solitaire." All were met with "command not found." some of the other games like chess launched just fine. seems to just be the aisleriot games. Tried a complete removal and reinstall to no avail.
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

deibu76 wrote:Doing the work involved in this link improved the rendering in Firefox immensely for me in Debian:

http://lovingthepenguin.blogspot.com/20 ... an_15.html
Thanks..that is a very helpful post...though my main point is you should not HAVE to tinker to get web pages to look good...someone coming over from windows or mac to MINT (the newbie friendly distro for new linux converts) i believe would be turned off when he would see how debian renders pages in it's natural state...I'm sure the folks at ubuntu realized that a long time ago, which is why they made the appropriate "patches" to give it (what i consider to be) the best font rendering one currently finds in Linux Distros (unless you do extensive tinkering after the fact)....

And that is why it's a key point for the Mint team to make sure it LOOKS good as well as WORKS GOOD... :wink:
And the ubuntu/kubuntu based Mints LOOK GOOD :)
mfdemicco

Post by mfdemicco »

craig10x wrote:
omns wrote: for me,if the mint team, can't make it look at least as good as ubuntu, i won't switch to the debian version, ever....and ultimately i would really love to, but that would unfortunately be a major "deal breaker" for me...
to my eye, debian looks horrible... :roll:
Exactly. I think the problem is solvable, but from what I've read, involves a complex process of patching some libraries (libcairo2, for example). I don't want to risk screwing up my system so I'll wait until the Mint team figures it out.

BTW, I'm running sidux (based on Debian Unstable (Sid) with KDE) and the fonts look great on it - comparable to Mint 9/Ubuntu.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Then Sid must have made the appropriate patching changes...as you said, the mint team would have to figure it out...
I use KDE now myself (just recently switched from gnome thanks to getting hooked on Mint 9 64 bit KDE)...and i would want the KDE 64 bit version of Mint Debian which hopefully will eventually be offered...I hope by then they got the fonts to look as good (or better) then ubuntu/kubuntu...
Mint 9 KDE looks great right out of the box with no tinkering at all...

Hmm..never looked at Sid...might have to check it out...to just to play a bit...that's a rolling distro? is is stable? How about getting codecs for it...does it come with what you need or do you have to add it on and how do you do it? I know a bit off topic but just curious.... :wink:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bug67 wrote:I think my n00bness is showing. I tried launching in terminal by typing (without quotes) "aisleriot-solitaire", just "aisleriot" and just "solitaire." All were met with "command not found." some of the other games like chess launched just fine. seems to just be the aisleriot games. Tried a complete removal and reinstall to no avail.
In terminal, type: "sol" (without the quotes). That's the actual command for Aisle Riot. Strange though as Aisle Riot is listed in the menu under "Games" and fires right up for me. The command path for Aisle Riot is "/usr/games/sol" by the way. If it's showing up in the menu, right-click on the icon and select "Properties" and make sure that's the command path shown. Worth a try anyway.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Well, we've got our first review of LMDE listed on Linux Mint's page on DistroWatch. Not a bad review at all. Got the name wrong in the slug although Jim corrected it in the review.

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/09/ ... -9-debian/
Malakun

Post by Malakun »

Software-center package isn't working, any suggestion?
Irbis

Post by Irbis »

craig10x wrote:Then Sid must have made the appropriate patching changes...as you said, the mint team would have to figure it out...
I use KDE now myself (just recently switched from gnome thanks to getting hooked on Mint 9 64 bit KDE)...and i would want the KDE 64 bit version of Mint Debian which hopefully will eventually be offered...I hope by then they got the fonts to look as good (or better) then ubuntu/kubuntu...
Mint 9 KDE looks great right out of the box with no tinkering at all...

Hmm..never looked at Sid...might have to check it out...to just to play a bit...that's a rolling distro? is is stable? How about getting codecs for it...does it come with what you need or do you have to add it on and how do you do it? I know a bit off topic but just curious.... :wink:
+1 for KDE and 64bit versions, that would be awesome.

1. Deb-based
2. Rolling release
3. Lovely desktop environment
Doesn't it sound like a distro of dream?:)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

mfdemicco wrote:
craig10x wrote:
omns wrote: for me,if the mint team, can't make it look at least as good as ubuntu, i won't switch to the debian version, ever....and ultimately i would really love to, but that would unfortunately be a major "deal breaker" for me...
Exactly. I think the problem is solvable, but from what I've read, involves a complex process of patching some libraries (libcairo2, for example). I don't want to risk screwing up my system so I'll wait until the Mint team figures it out.

BTW, I'm running sidux (based on Debian Unstable (Sid) with KDE) and the fonts look great on it - comparable to Mint 9/Ubuntu.
I think there's a mistake in formatting of the original quote there. I never said that. craig10x owns those thoughts :)
shayney

Post by shayney »

craig10x wrote:Then Sid must have made the appropriate patching changes...
It isn't patched in Sid. Testing is, for the most part, a slightly older Sid.
Whether or not sidux includes any patches I doubt but they may have done some tinkering.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

thanks shayney...I guess my main point is this: Sure anyone of us can do some tinkering after the fact, to make it suit our own "personal tastes" but at the same time, the default look of Mint Debian should be patched, tinkered or whatever they would need to do, to make it at least match (or perhaps even surpass) Ubuntu/Kubuntu....

I've tried many distros and always come away from Ubuntu/Kubuntu ( and standard Mint which is based on them) saying...well, that looks REAL NICE...
can't say the same for many other distros i have tried...And when i looked at Mint Debian on the live cd amd started to surf in my favorite Chrome browser, which renders beautifully in Mint 9, i wasn't liking what i was seeing...i even tried playing with font settings a bit...didn't help much...and actually, one should not have to, just to get a decent look...

As the old saying goes, First Impressions Are Important :wink:

also, a simplified installer, similar to the standard mint editions would be much more "newbie friendly"....
Last edited by craig10x on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panzer

Post by panzer »

mfdemicco wrote:
craig10x wrote:

I actually use Crunchbang Statler (alpha-2) based on Debian Squeeze. I solved the problem with fonts with this:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... ke-ubuntu/
I use the packages compiled.
Fonts are exactly like Ubuntu for me! Can anyone confirm if it works with LMDE?

Thanks.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

hope the mint team sees your post :wink:
and i hope they don't think i am being a pain in the a** harping on it :lol:
but i absolutely love and support Mint...and i really want them to even surpass UBUNTU with this!

The way it looks now, it would be like presenting a ferrari at an auto show that is full of bangs and dents...and i would like to see the whole package (including the font issue) become super smooth and sleek...
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I just added ttf-mscorefonts-installer and modified my ~/.fonts.conf and the fonts look about the same as they do on any Linux Mint 9 edition. Granted, the fonts are not as clean as they are in Windows, but they never have been. If there's one thing Windows excels at, it's font rendering.

Return to “LMDE Archive”