Faster boot?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
string-serenade

Faster boot?

Post by string-serenade »

Ubuntu 10.04 reclamizes a faster boot as previous versions.
Well, I'm triyng Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox (based on Xubuntu 9.10?) and Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox (based on Lubuntu 10.04?) in VirtualBox with both autologin* and the old version boots faster up. Linux Mint 9 takes less time to receive the image background, but it hangs a lot before fluxbox menu becomes active... this is not good.

*for Linux Mint 8 there's the "Slim Autologin" in Menu, for Linux Mint 9 it is a bit complicated:
edit /etc/lxdm/default.conf... and uncomment (delete the # and the space) the lines

Code: Select all

autologin=*username*
    session=/usr/bin/startmintfluxbox
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Faster boot?

Post by Kendall »

I've experienced quite different results, though these things are always hardware dependent. The hope is that the Fluxbox edition will boot as fast as possible, especially when compared with other editions, but circumstance might step in the way of that.

Regarding autologin, for Mint 8 I made a particularly dirty hack that was functional, but was also limiting when it came to the possibility of other features that the login manger offered. After moving to lxdm for Mint 9, I decided that such dirty hacks were not proper and that such things should be approached though the best means possible. There has been the promise of an lxdm configuration utility for a while now, and the early builds look promising. I'll integrate it as soon as I feel it works properly for a Mint release.
string-serenade

Re: Faster boot? quite OT

Post by string-serenade »

Hi Kendall,
first of all thanks for everything you do for linuxmint and fluxbox.
I've decided to leave linuxmint8-fluxbox because of a problem with Isadora: the mouse right click on a window on the toolbar closes (crashes?) the window instead of to permit me to reduce-maximize-close the window. Using also a Netbook, it's impossible to work.

About a more faster fluxbox-linux mint, I expect a debian based linux mint version with fluxbox. That's sure faster and lighter!
I do this proposal:
the LMDE edition should come with a "fat" DVD .iso. During the installation, it should be asked, which Desktop must be installed. So the installer will choose the packages to be installed. Fluxbox with Thunar and so on, Gnome with Nautilus and so on, KDE with Konqueror...

bye
string-serenade

Post Scriptum: Sabayon installer comes with tihs option.
(like in Debian or Sabayon, it should be asked for a Software selection too)

daquirm

Re: Faster boot?

Post by daquirm »

Hi string-serenade.
Considering the fat DVD iso, I really disagree with that, because many of the users run systems like Mint Fluxbox from live USB, just to boot fast as possible. So the size should be kept as small as possible. But if there were something like Linux Mint Complete edition, which will be 1 DVD containing all possibilities of instalation like: step one choose desktop environment - Gnome, Kde, Fluxbox, etc. Step two choose web browser - Firefox, Opera etc. Step three choose file manager - nautilus, pcmanfm2, thunar. Step four choose video player - VLC, smplayer etc. This will be a really great choice for main desktop installation.

Return to “Software & Applications”