Giver

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Giver

Post by det4100 »

I just installed LMDE on an ASUS M4A785-M with a Phenom Quad-Core. After Fudoodling around with the graphics and Compiz, I tried to send a few files over from my other computers using Giver. Giver starts up fine. Sees the other computers. The other computers see it. But when I send a file over, I get the notification balloon that someone wants to send a file, but I don't get the window with the options to accept or deny. After a few moments, it just defaults to deny. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it - no good. I started it in terminal to see if there was any errors - no errors. I'm at a loss. I know this application is not really supported anymore. I think it was made as part of some contest. But, it really is a cool application to send files quickly over the network. Any ideas??? BTW all computers have static IP addresses and are listed in the etc/hosts file. I double checked to make sure none are trying to use the same IP. Sending files from the LMDE machine to the others is not a problem.

det4100
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Giver

Post by Pierre »

I've had the odd problem with this, when using Giver.

I found that starting Giver on the receiving PC & then starting Giver on the sending PC,

often fixed this error.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Giver

Post by det4100 »

Thanks for the reply Pierre.
I've already tried that several times. That usually works when there is no indication at all of an attempt at a file transfer. I am getting the notification dialog that a file is being sent. I'm just not getting the window with the buttons to click to either Accept or Deny. Of course, after a few seconds, it defaults to deny. Frustrating. I had found this program very useful in sending files back and forth with my linux machines.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “LMDE Archive”