First-timer - Liking it so far!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GMegerator

First-timer - Liking it so far!

Post by GMegerator »

Hello all!

So, I just switched up my old Dell Inspiron 8200 from XP to Mint! I like it.
It took a couple days of reading around, I had no idea where to start, but I knew i wanted to see what the penguin fuss was all about. Took alot of random web surfing, and I eventually tried LiveCDs of Ubuntu 10.4.1 a day after the update release, then tried a Live Kubuntu, and then Mint. So far Mint seems to be the best fit and platform for my style and interface goals. ...however I'm thinking the wife might really like Kubuntu on her laptop... :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BubbaBlues

Re: First-timer - Liking it so far!

Post by BubbaBlues »

...however I'm thinking the wife might really like Kubuntu on her laptop...
I would highly recommend Mint KDE rather than kubuntu. It has a lot of essentials pre-installed that you'll have to search for with kubuntu. And Mint works better!

That being said, Welcome aboard! The more you use it, the more you're come to appreciate it! 8)
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Enjoy, it's a great release.
Once you install the restricted extras, you'll be away
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello GMegerator
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
GMegerator

Post by GMegerator »

I will have to check out the KDE mint distro!

I'm quite new to this and trying to learn as quickly as i can, so please bare with any rudimentary questions I may ask. Linux is definately quite different from anything I have previously experienced, still trying to get all the hardware working correctly
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

GMegerator wrote:I will have to check out the KDE mint distro!

I'm quite new to this and trying to learn as quickly as i can, so please bare with any rudimentary questions I may ask. Linux is definately quite different from anything I have previously experienced, still trying to get all the hardware working correctly
Do definately check out Mint 9 KDE ("boo" from australia is then one that heads up that version) does a wonderful job on Kubuntu 10.04...he puts a lot of "love and polish" into it...If you look at live cds of the two i think i know which one you will pick for your wife :wink:

In fact, today just for a lark, i ran a live cd of Kubuntu 10.04 and it really made me appreciate how much he does to it for Mint 9 KDE... :)
This coming from a guy that always ran gnome...wasn't fond of kde (actually especially after looking at kubuntu) but is now "hooked" on the KDE version of Mint...
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

No comparison (IMO) with either the distro or the quality and friendliness of the forum. Whether you choose green or blue, the quality of Mint shows.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

BubbaBlues wrote:No comparison (IMO) with either the distro or the quality and friendliness of the forum. Whether you choose green or blue, the quality of Mint shows.
Welcome home, then :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome :mrgreen:
GMegerator

Post by GMegerator »

thank for the tip bubbablues! tried mint kde and yeah, we both like it very much.

I've been trying to get Compiz going and the cube, i think i missed a few steps but i'll figure it out eventually i'm sure.

Would compiz enable me to output from my s-video port and set up a television as a second monitor? That's the current goal.

Also, probably since my ~6 year old laptop's ram is a little anemic, video playback is a little glitchy once sized larger than your standard youtube display size, would LXDE be a helpful step toward getting this dell laptop to output a smoother full-screen video stream?

...and I had some free time at work the other day so I made a sticker: :mrgreen:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Community.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Go to system settings, then Desktop/Desktop Effects. Check "enable desktop effects. Then open the "all effects" tab and there you can enable the desktop cube. KDE has compositing built in and so you don't need compiz.
As for the video stuff, I'm not sure how to help ya. I'm pretty sure KDE requires more ram than lxde or even gnome, so the older laptop would indeed run better with one of those.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”