deb file installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

deb file installation

Post by jerrybee »

Happy Labor Day.
Last night I downloaded the latest version of nerolinux from the nero site. I tried to install it in Mint using the command line "dpkg -i <filename.deb>" and received an error message saying "<filename.deb> is not a debian format archive". This morning I tried the same thing while in Debian -- got the same error message.
I can't imagine Nero putting a .deb file on their site that isn't a legit deb archive, but I also don't see any way to get tech support at that site for nerolinux.
Am I doing something wrong? Overlooking something? Assuming something that I shouldn't be? Suggestions please.
As an aside to this: I thought about trying to use Synaptic to install the .deb file, but don't know how to tell Synaptic to work on the file on my hard drive. I assume it's a matter of adding a new "repository", but don't know how to add, say, a "downloads" subdirectory to the repository list. How is that done?
TIA.
Jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I would not be surprised if some company did not manage to make a .deb file :)
Have tried to doubleclick it? Should start installation, but I suspect you get the same error
If you try

Code: Select all

dpkg --unpack
what happens?
Move to an empty folder just in case
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: deb file installation

Post by scorp123 »

jerrybee wrote:I tried to install it in Mint using the command line "dpkg -i <filename.deb>" and received an error message saying "<filename.deb> is not a debian format archive".
Why don't you use the 'file' utility to find out what it is?

file suspiciousfileinquestion.deb 
... that would spit out what file type you're dealing with regardless what the file extension says, the 'file' utility takes a look inside and will most of the time correctly guess the real tile type.

file hosts.deny
hosts.deny: ASCII English text

file serenity_screenlets_GlossyP_screenshot.jpg
serenity_screenlets_GlossyP_screenshot.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01

file contivity-vpn.deb
contivity-vpn.deb: Debian binary package (format 2.0)
Try it on the file you downloaded.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:If you try

dpkg --unpack
what happens?
'dpkg' has already complained that the file isn't a *.deb file, so this operation too will most likely fail. Besides: we don't even know what file type we're really dealing with.
Husse

Post by Husse »

unpack was th only thing I could come up with :)
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: deb file installation

Post by jerrybee »

scorp123 wrote:Why don't you use the 'file' utility to find out what it is?

file suspiciousfileinquestion.deb 
... that would spit out what file type you're dealing with regardless what the file extension says, the 'file' utility takes a look inside and will most of the time correctly guess the real tile type. serenity_screenlets_GlossyP_screenshot.jpg
serenity_screenlets_GlossyP_screenshot.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01[/code]

file contivity-vpn.deb
contivity-vpn.deb: Debian binary package (format 2.0)
Try it on the file you downloaded.
I tried using "file" on it and it returned "data" , whatever that means.

I also tried using dpkg --unpack and that didn't yield anything.

Also tried the double-click and that produced a window saying "Could not open <filename>. The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check permissions of the file." I checked permissions and it's mine.

I'd thought about the possibility of it being a bad file, but thought "No, Nero wouldn't put a faulty file on their web site to be made available to the world". I've sent an email to a generic address at Nero and received an email saying they'd received it, so maybe someone will take note and check into the validity of the file -- I truly hope so.

Thanks to those who responded. Does anyone have a suggestion to the last part of my plea for help, re: adding a repository of a local subdir to Synaptic?
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

.deb file installation

Post by jerrybee »

Husse wrote:I would not be surprised if some company did not manage to make a .deb file :)
Have tried to doubleclick it? Should start installation, but I suspect you get the same error
If you try

dpkg --unpack
what happens?
Move to an empty folder just in case

Sorry, I didn't give a good answer to your suggestion in my previous submission. Using dpkg --unpack responded with an error message much like I'd seen before, "dpkg-deb: <filename> is not a debian format archive" .
So, it would appear that the file is at fault, not me, in my newbie nakedness. Hopefully Nero will place a correct file on their web site soon, and I'll be able to set up DVD-burning of video files soon in Linux.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Download again - the file could have been corrupted during download.

Return to “Beginner Questions”