Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ginjabunny

Re: Mint Debian

Post by ginjabunny »

I have presumed that it is ok to change the debian repository to be country specific, I noticed earlier when doing a big update that I wasn't getting the download speeds I was expecting, so I have changed ftp.debian.org to ftp.uk.debian.org and doubled my download speeds.

Is it ok?
Can I change any of the others to be country specific?

GB
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

ginjabunny wrote:I have presumed that it is ok to change the debian repository to be country specific, I noticed earlier when doing a big update that I wasn't getting the download speeds I was expecting, so I have changed ftp.debian.org to ftp.uk.debian.org and doubled my download speeds.

Is it ok?
Can I change any of the others to be country specific?

GB
You should be fine, in fact it is recommended that you change your repository to a mirror that is close to your location. Just be sure to choose one from the official mirror list.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

by the way...as a "rolling distro" when i see the mention of the words "you might occasionally get breakage" what exactly does that mean? would you have to re-install? If it is a matter of fixing something, what if one isn't that technically oriented? Would the fix shortly come up through the updates and correct the "breakage"? I'm thinking that eventually many newbies may try this, and if that would be a problem for them, they may get discouraged...Or,even after the team gets it much more polished, is it really oriented more toward the "tinkerers" among the mint community?

Also, since i am not actively participating...i hope someone will post if/when the team does stuff to make the web surfing font rendering for the various browsers closer, equal of even better then what you get in the ubuntu based versions...

By the way, i noticed that the installer isn't particularly newbie friendly...the normal mint installer gives you the options of installing over your current os, or having them side by side and specifying how big you want it to be, without going into advanced settings where as the current one on the debian version ONLY has the advanced type of settings...hope that will be changed down the road...
shayney

Post by shayney »

craig10x wrote:by the way...as a "rolling distro" when i see the mention of the words "you might occasionally get breakage" what exactly does that mean? would you have to re-install?
I think it would take a very extreme case to need a re-install and is very unlikely.
From Sid/sidux experience, breakage would generally come in the form of updates to major components such as the whole of gnome, KDE or xorg.
Mainly because a user might update before all the packages are fully ready so it turns out to be a half-upgrade without realising (this is probably the biggest downside to rolling distros), so you could end up unable to get a graphical desktop.

Other cases might be down to mistakes in dependencies but such issues are usually caught in Sid and fixed before they reach testing.

Might be worthwhile having something like the "upgrade warnings" section on sidux forums.
Here, people can read up on potential upgrade problems so that they know beforehand how to fix/workaround issues or better still, so they can wait until issues are resolved before upgrading themselves.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Just don't update your system as soon as the update is available and then you'll likely avoid the major breakage problems. If a package is really bad, it should be corrected, or at least pulled from the repo, within 24 hours. This will vary with mirrors though, since they only sync with the official repos once or twice a day at the most.
msnthrp

Post by msnthrp »

I installed LInux Mint Debian today. How Sweet It IS!!!

I had my hard drive extended partition configured with the logical swap partition first, then the root logical partition (and three more logical partitions in the extended one). The installer froze when trying to install with that configuration. So I used gparted to delete the swap and root partitions and recreated them with the root first and the swap second. The next install try went without a hitch. Beautiful.

I wish there was 64 bit edition since my machine has an Intel dual core x64 and I have 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM. But I figure the x64 edition will get here sometime. Maybe the x64 Flash will be here by then.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Check it out. Linux Mint just went to number 1 on Distrowatch for the last 7 days by nearly 200 hits above Ubuntu (check the list in right-hand sidebar and select "Last 7 days" from the drop down menu). :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
AbeFreeman

Post by AbeFreeman »

ignore this -- I started a new post
Last edited by AbeFreeman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Mint Debian doesn't seem to like my Realtek RTL8187 wireless much. It works, but not particularly well, as I get frequent packet loss. ndiswrapper doesn't do much for me either. I don't think LM9 had this problem, but I can't remember for certain. I really need to wire up my house with some Ethernet cables. It's just not easy navigating through my roof...
Anonymo

Post by Anonymo »

As the release is already a DVD, in the future, it would be cool if all versions were on 1 DVD. So we could have 2 DVDs, maybe a 32bit and a 64bit, with all versions of DE and WM (GNOME,KDE, etc). Just throwing it out there.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Just installed on my main machine - so far so good! :-D
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
dnmint

Re: Mint Debian logging in

Post by dnmint »

How does one login automatically in LMDE ?
Pls help
zole052

Re: Mint Debian logging in

Post by zole052 »

dnmint wrote:How does one login automatically in LMDE ?
Pls help
mintmenu > administration > login screen
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Hmmm, strange.

On MY LMDE, it's

Mint Menu > System | Control Centre > System > Login Screen
Teucca

Post by Teucca »

Last edited by Teucca on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

SteveHoffmanUK wrote:Hmmm, strange.

On MY LMDE, it's

zole052's instructions sound like they're actually for the GNOME Main Menu.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

randomizer wrote:I just added ttf-mscorefonts-installer and modified my ~/.fonts.conf and the fonts look about the same as they do on any Linux Mint 9 edition. Granted, the fonts are not as clean as they are in Windows, but they never have been. If there's one thing Windows excels at, it's font rendering.
That's what I did. Just installed mscorefonts, no other tweaking in that regard, and it all looks really good. I use to do the same thing in older versions of Ubuntu and other distros with dodgy fonts.

I've also changed the default menu (which is nice but not my favourite) and went for the customised menu with Applications Places System as the menu items. I added a top panel and put it there with my most commonly used programs; just like in Lucid.

Mint Debian is very nice. I've had one 'no signal' message on the monitor during boot but the system just shut down after thirty seconds and rebooted fine with no errors. Think it might be the 2.6.32.5 kernel not fully supporting my newish Core i3 and H55-USB3 motherboard. This monitor issue occurs in Lucid, Fedora 13 and Mint Debian but not PCLOS or W7 on the same hardware. I think PCLOS uses a newer kernel.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Kernel 2.6.33 was the first to have full support for the i3, including the IGP. 2.6.32 may have some support for the CPU but I think IGP support is flaky at best.
zole052

Post by zole052 »

randomizer wrote:
SteveHoffmanUK wrote:Hmmm, strange.

On MY LMDE, it's

zole052's instructions sound like they're actually for the GNOME Main Menu.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

randomizer wrote:Kernel 2.6.33 was the first to have full support for the i3, including the IGP. 2.6.32 may have some support for the CPU but I think IGP support is flaky at best.
Hey, thanks for that. That may explain why in the newer kernel in PCLOS, the no signal message on the monitor doesn't happen. In Lucid when I get the no signal message I have to do Ctrl-Alt F1 and in Fedora and LMDE it just shuts down after a few seconds. I bought this system though knowing that it may not be fully supported for six months or more, so I can't blame Linux for that decision. It only happens once or twice a month anyway.

I do like Linux Mint Debian quite a bit so far, it seems really good and to basically have Debian with a bit more polish is an attractive option. My gut feeling is LMDE will go far. I will certainly promote it on a large aussie forum if it continues along so well.

Thanks to everyone that has worked so hard in producing it and all Mint flavours. Its been two years since I've looked at Mint and I am impressed indeed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”