please help me setup dual monitors

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have an obscure video card that is also old (1998 or earlier) and with (by todays standard) really poor performance. Sorry....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendition_(company)
I'm surprised it even has dual monitor connectors and considering that the card has 4 or 8 MB video ram I'm not so sure that you get a useful result...
But if you want to try back up your xorg.conf

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak
Then I'd recommend the tool called Xserver-Xorg. The warnings you get is there to warn you that you can screw up your system.
But with a backup of xorg.conf you can boot into rescue mode and recover your xorg.conf and be OK in no time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The easiest way to do it would be to get a new video card. Sorry, but what little I remember about Rendition is all bad.

nVidia is the recommended chipset for Linux since it has the best driver support.

I have run ATI successfully and they work fine (except for the 9700 Pro), but the ATI drivers don't fully support Linux and require a bit more effort to set up.

Get yourself a nice nVidia graphics card instead of trying to beat that Rendition card into submission. Even if you can get the Rendition working, it won't have the chops to run Linux in all its glory. With even a fairly modest nVidia card you will get better performance.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

With even a fairly modest nVidia card you will get better performance.
That's the understatement of .....well this year :)
Even the cheapest of all new nvidia cards is like a formula 1 car compared to a wheelchair

Return to “Beginner Questions”