There is no button to install and no menu button when I boot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kainous

There is no button to install and no menu button when I boot

Post by Kainous »

I booted from USB as usual, there's nothing on the desktop and no menu button... how do I install..?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marshag63

Re: There is no button to install and no menu button when I

Post by marshag63 »

Ctrl + M will bring up the main menu or you can just click the right mouse button. In the menu that comes up is an option to install, though I suggest you play with the live cd and really get to know how things work before installing - that's the beauty of a live CD - - exploring and playing and not ruining anything. Check out the apps and the file manager, see what happens when you stick a USB flash drive in and how to unmount the flash drive, cruise the internet and smile with delight when youtube videos just "play." :) Lots and lots to explore.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

MarshaG.
Kainous

Post by Kainous »

Thanks, worked perfectly.
I was wondering, since Thunar can't show my NTFS partitions, how would I replace it with PCmanFM?
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

Kainous wrote:Thanks, worked perfectly.
I was wondering, since Thunar can't show my NTFS partitions, how would I replace it with PCmanFM?

I asked the same thing in the past for the same reason as you. It seems ridiculous that Thunar cant show all partitions either mounted or not. Anyway I guess it would be a pain to totally remove Thunar, so I just installed Pcmanfm and modified the menu. :shock:
marshag63

Post by marshag63 »

Bring up the menu, go to System Tools > System Tools > Disk Utility. You pick the drive or partition from the left side of the screen and can mount the drive/partition from options on the right half (lower half), then when you bring up Thunar, you can navigate to that partition, even NTFS (I just verified this on my netbook with windows 7 Starter).

:)

MarshaG.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Assuming mint fluxbox 9 is similar to mint fluxbox 8 ...

You can also get the menu by right-clicking the desktop. What I often did if the desktop is full is right-click the very bottom left or very bottom right corners.
I like using the mouse instead of 2 hands on the keyboard.

Sheng-Chieh
marshag63

Post by marshag63 »

That's quite a few steps to get to the disk utility so you can add a keyboard shortcut to the keys file ~/yourusername/.fluxbox/keys. The name of the disk utility is palimpsest. My entry look like this.

Control F1 :ExecCommand /usr/bin/palimpsest

You can use whatever combo you want :)

BTW, Alt + F3 will bring up Thunar in your home directory

Hope this helps.

MarshaG.

Return to “Software & Applications”