Problem with Synaptic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Problem with Synaptic

Post by T J Tulley »

I first tried Synaptic in Bianca and it rapidly became corrupt.

Now in Cassandra I have used it to download vmplayer 1.0.2-2 and when I tried to install that a notice appeared saying that there is an update, vmplayer 2.0.0.0 so I downloaded that, selecting the tar version. That is sitting on my Desktop, and it unpacked as vmware player distrib containing 9 folders which are sitting in /home/downloads. It still doesn't appear in Synaptic Package Manager - I've tried to drag it there, or copy/paste, and I can't see how to install it.

Next I want to use it to set up a Win XP Pro virtual machine, and no doubt then I shall be back with more questions!

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Or go to the software portal and install Virtualbox, which is faster than Vmware and open source.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Problem with Synaptic

Post by T J Tulley »

900i wrote:Or go to the software portal and install Virtualbox, which is faster than Vmware and open source.
Thanks - I downloaded that a month ago via Bianca but Synaptic then became corrupted while installing it, so I was reluctant to try again. Hence attempt with vmplayer.

I have now copied
Virtualbox_1.4.0-21864_Ubuntu_Edgy_i386.deb 11.8 MB
from the Bianca/home/downloads and pasted into my Cassandra/home/downloads.

I would be grateful for a bit of detail about managing Synaptic to install it.

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Cassandra is based on Fiesty, so I don't know if an Edgy .deb will work?...Anyone!
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Don't know about the .deb for VirtualBox. However, I just used the Linux Mint Software portal on two machines yesterday .. no problems. You need to open / select the progress carrot and agree to the license agreement, or the install just sits there. If you don't open the progress and just x-out of the install your synaptic can corrupt from such un-necessary roughness. :wink:

The only thing I had to do after to make things run was follow this post:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... box&t=2540
(see the angel naygel post).
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Synaptic

Post by T J Tulley »

I've just been browsing other forums and found this link announcing VirtualBox back in January:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679
- a very interesting read.

I note what you say about rough treatment for Synaptic and .deb - it appeared to me that deb and tar were alternatives; I think I had difficulties with a tar version of Adobe Reader so decided to try deb for VB.

Trying to be a good boy, I searched Wiki Mint for tar and deb - no results. I understand that they are alternative forms of compressed packages - please tell me more.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

This is a good read about building and installation.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO-1.html
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Synaptic

Post by scorp123 »

T J Tulley wrote:I've just been browsing other forums...
BTW, could you please enable BBCode in your profile and/or your postings? That would make sure that your postings don't get misformatted so badly when you quote someome else's post. With BBCode disabled all the tags such as "quote" don't work and all you get is misformatted text which is hard to read.

Please keep BBCode enabled.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Problem with Synaptic

Post by T J Tulley »

Scorp123 wrote: Please keep BBCode enabled.

Thanks for the advice - apologies. I've only just started using the Quote facility - it didn't work this time.
With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

Return to “Beginner Questions”