Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Orographic »

tdockery97 wrote:Yes. In Grub you should now be able to boot into your new kernel or your old one. If it boots and works then the kernel is installed correctly. :D
Thanks! Doing it the liquirox way was quite easy, just add the line to your sources list, install the key and then open synaptic, refresh and bobs your uncle...or aunty. Ripper.

Does anyone know how to make fullscreen Flash any better? Its quite good but there is a bit of tearing.

I'm loving LMDE though, there is something earthy about using Debian but its more enjoyable with the finer touches of Mint.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

just updated to the 2.6.36 and the nvidia crapped it self...reinstalled lm9

what the fark dd i do wrong....what a long, wastful day......
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Create a clonezilla image before you tinker, it will save you hours.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

ibm450 wrote:just updated to the 2.6.36 and the nvidia crapped it self...reinstalled lm9

what the fark dd i do wrong....what a long, wastful day......
If the kernel was properly installed, then you would need to reinstall the NVIDIA driver (if using its prop. driver). What about your older kernel, couldn't you boot it?

- x -
Regarding vrkalak's instructions, I guess he's talking about installing kernels from outside any repository because APT/Synaptic can deal with the dependencies by themselves.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

vrkalak's instructions are for any Mint 9, based on Ubuntu, . . .not Mint Debian . . MD needs the Liquorix kernel.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

yeah she would boot and all, but during boot and just before login screen, it kept asking to restart x server. i tried everything i could find in the forums to restart and reinstall the nvidia drivers but had no luck whats so ever....i finally gave up and reinstalled the OS again.....

i better wait for LM10 to come out with the new kernal.

with 10.10 i had no issues with the new kernal 2.6.36 and with the beta OS release. imho it actually seemed to perform alot smoother and more responsive then lm9 (booted up afew seconds quicker also lol) . so i cant wait for lm10 to come out
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I installed liquorix on my Xfce Mint 9. It seems to work o.k. every way I checked except video. I could not reinstall nvidia because of a missing library that needed updating. I could not find the library and assume it must come from Debian. An attempted reinstallation of nvidia drivers messed up my xorg and gave me something to do I did not need for a couple of hours, but I did recover the OS and previous setup.
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I have noticed a lot of updates coming through for LMDE as of late, guess they are getting Squeeze ready for release in the next month or so. I'm excited that LM 10 is in RC so it won't be long before it is released and then maybe Clem & the boys will polish LMDE a little more. Yea!!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I know that everyone that uses Debian or any of the Debian-based variants, as well as, the LMDE Developers and Maintainers, would like to know this little bit of Info I received in my email.

We are all eagerly awaiting the release of Debian 6.0 Squeeze (currently in the 'freeze' stage of it's development) . . . I got this little update on Squeeze from the Debian Mailinglist that I belong to.
Debian release update.
The Release Managers held a meeting in Paris on October 2-3 and sent an update on the status of Squeeze. They would like to release Debian 6.0 Squeeze before Christmas. The number of RC bugs is steadily going down, less than 200 bugs needs to be fixed, at this time.
/me does the 'happy-dance' :lol:
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

vrkalak wrote:
Debian release update.
The Release Managers held a meeting in Paris on October 2-3 and sent an update on the status of Squeeze. They would like to release Debian 6.0 Squeeze before Christmas. The number of RC bugs is steadily going down, less than 200 bugs needs to be fixed, at this time.
/me does the 'happy-dance' :lol:
That is good news. My current plan is to update the mint tools when squeeze goes stable (maybe not if they are functioning okay). I'll then change to Squeeze, activate backports and disable the mint repos. Sounds boring but I'm tired of constantly tweaking and fiddling. I'm just going to set and forget for a while and try to be a bit more productive at work and play :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

A New 'stable release of Debian is on the way . . . Debian 6.0 Squeeze

http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20101116b

The Debian project is proud to announce, that its upcoming release Debian 6.0 Squeeze has entered the final phase of its development cycle and is nearly in its final form.

We now seek the help of our users to find the remaining bugs related to upgrades from the previous stable release as well as bugs related to the installation of fresh systems.

If you plan to install a fresh Debian system in the near future, please consider installing Debian Squeeze with the debian-installer available at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

But aren't those running Testing already at the level of the Squeeze release?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

tdockery97 wrote:But aren't those running Testing already at the level of the Squeeze release?
^ Yes, sir.

I guess this was directed at those that use Debian 'stable' ie: Lenny
They can now upgrade their repros or install the newer Squeeze.iso (nearly considered to be 'stable')

If you are running a 'testing' version but would like to stay with Squeeze . . . go with the Squeeze repros.
If you want to continue to be 'testing' and enjoy the Rolling Release aspect ... continue with 'testing'
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Thanks vrkalak, it's nice to have experienced Debian people on the forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Bluebris

Re: Mint Debian Install & 1st Impressions

Post by Bluebris »

Gramps50 wrote:LMDE Install

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not complaining about anything here this is just my observations as I installed LMDE and 1st started poking around. So far I really like what I have seen and I think Clem and the gang has done an excellent job in bringing us a new variant of Linux Mint.

I installed LMDE on my Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with 250GB hd & 4 gb ram

Used unetbootin to create a bootable USB thumb-drive.

Partitioner
Editing partitions is a little confusing, when clicking on Edit Partitions it opens gparted, so I formated the 2 existing partitons for reuse. Closed gparted and the installer still did not look correct. I then discovered that if you right click on the partition and set the mount point etc. After figuring this all out I continued only to have the installer freeze at about 75% with the message Mounting /dev/sda1/ on /target/ Canceled the installer and started over and all was well, might have had something to do with me using gparted the 1st run.

At 1st glance I don't think I would know the difference between LMDE & LM9 but upon further exploration I discovered that it did not handle font rendering as well as LM9. I have used Debian in the past and I believe that it's Debain not Mint causing the problem. I did change the default font from serif to FreeSerif and it did make a difference and looks better but still not great.

1st thing I do when installing any new distro is check for updated which I did using the mintUpdater. It told me there were 266 updates which I then installed. After they finished loading and installing I restarted, just in case, I like to restart when there are a lot of updates seems to eliminate problems down the road.

Now it's time to get my Broadcom 4812 working which is something I have to do with almost any distro that I have installed. I have a script that will download the proper modules and install them and it worked except for the last line which adds the command to load the driver upon booting. So I added it with sudo qedit and all was fine. The script is attached with comments for anyone that want to save time and automate the install.

When LMDE is booting you can see the lines as the different modules are loaded. This is fine with me, in LM9 this is hidden behind a splash screen.

Now it's time to install the extra programs that I want and use. Here a list of the ones that were available, followed by the ones that weren't
phatch
grsync
bluefish
gftp
dropbox
rubyripper
parcellite
gdebi - so .deb files could be installed, should be installed by default in my opinion.

Missing from the repostories
opera
picasa

downloaded and installed opera from the Opera site.

Found and connected to my network computer automatically.

I then went to Startup Application Preferences and unchecked the following as I don't use them.
Bluetooth
mintwelcome
Personal file sharing
Remote desktop
Visual Assistance
this is personal and has nothing to do with LMDE I do this to make the memory footprint smaller.

The only other issue I have come across so far and this is minor is with Thunderbird on the left column under the tab there is a bar that them sort of hides that top of the lettering on the column. If you click on the <> to change the view it disappears until you minimizes and the restore it,the bar returns. Doesn't seem to hurt the function it's just cosmetic.

I'm not sure if this is a debain issue or Opera, I tried to copy some text from Opera to Thunderbird and it would not copy. I was able to copy the same text from Firefox to Thunderbird. I actually think that it's an Opera issue, have had some other issues with it while running on other distros.

With all that said I really like what I am seeing. Being a Beta/RC1 LMDE is a very well done distro and I can only see it getting better with time and with a rolling release it will get better right before my vary eyes.

The code below is a script for installing the Broadcom 4812 drivers, tried to attach the script and it won't let me do it without a extension or with the .txt extension so I included it here. Copy and paste it into a text file, I named mine b43,be sure to make it excutable,put it in your home direcotry and run it from a terminal.

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
# Install the wifi drivers for Broadcom 4312 wifi
# Add contrib non-free to the app source list befor using - Note this may not
# be necessary on LMDE
############################################################################

## Update the list of available packages. Install the module-assistant and
##   wireless-tools packages:

sudo aptitude update
   sudo aptitude install module-assistant wireless-tools

## Build and install a broadcom-sta-modules-* package for your system,
##   using Module-Assistant:

sudo m-a a-i broadcom-sta

## Rebuild your initial ramdisk, to blacklist modules defined at
##   /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf within initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)

## Unload conflicting modules:

sudo modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb 

## Load the wl module:

sudo modprobe wl 

## Verify your device has an available interface:

sudo iwconfig

## Configure your wireless interface as appropriate. 

## At this point I don't think that the wl driver will load on startup so

sudo echo wl >> /etc/modules

Apologies for bringing back an earlier thread, but hopefully someone can help with this:
I ran the script as above, and lo and behold, my wifi connected straight off! It almost felt like a miracle. Not being the trusting type, I rebooted, and after that it won't reconnect. The little "trying to connect" globe thing keeps spinning, and it sometimes asks for the wifi password again, but it refuses to connect.

What information is needed so someone can hopefully help me get it working again?

Return to “LMDE Archive”