Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keljaden

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by keljaden »

While I agree that Elive looks good, there are a number of things that distro does wrong...most of them in the MORAL department such as hiding their $15 charge...oh and charging their users for openoffice...

As far as MoonOS, they will be releasing MoonOS4 in the fall this year (they pushed the release back).
MoonOS is good, but doesn't use Ecomorph.

Then you have openGEU...which is still using 8.10 That is way to old and most likely has secure holes at this point as security updates for it have been cancelled.

The only way it could happen for mint if a developer who was really motivated wished to do it.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

I just checked out a couple of E17 distros (and there's only a couple) and WOW! E17 is beautiful! Radically different looking and lovely eye candy.

I'm not a fan of bringing in too many DEs, but I'd vote to bring in E17 because of how different and cool it looks, as long as Mint cuts one of the other DEs that basically look the same as GNOME.
Isthmus

Post by Isthmus »

Recently saw another E17 beta that is worth checking out. It's called UNITE17 and is part of the Unity Linux project:

http://unity-linux.org/

I tested the live CD and it is quite beautiful, though it is not final and does not appear to be stable yet. Sadly there is very little info available outside of the developer's site, and that is in hungarian. Here is a picture of what the desktop looks like, using the Engage app dock:

I would love to see a mint based e17 distro that had a similar look and feel to this (but minty of course)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I really don't like E17 that much but it's just my preferences.
I don't like haw the settings are done or the file manager.
The menu really sucks in my opinion.
It's not the easy to understand for a new user.
Some apps have to be changed to even work on E17.

Also every setting is compiled into it.
This makes it so you can't customize it without recoding it to what you want.
That a lone makes it really hard to make a Mint version.
Even if I fix those it has been in development over 2 yrs and still isn't near stable.

I thought Elive was ok but not worth my $15.

There is an old repo for Ubuntu Jaunty. http://packages.enlightenment.org/debian/
I guess the Lucid repo is unfinished. deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu lucid main extras
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

Other good work with E17: Mint Forum thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ra#p256820
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to be here! I don't know if this has been posted already so please forgive me. Last night after playing with elive, pclinuxOSe17, moonOS, OpenGue etc I landed here with mint 9 xfce running e17. It was one of the easier configs I've done. And again if this is old news plesase ignore- Heres what I did if I can remember correctly...

Installed Mint 9 XFCE
Updated System
In Synaptic I changed the repo to 'Karmic'

http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu karmic main extras

Updated Synaptic

Installed e17 and emodules-all

It all went flawlessly!

(P.S. I previously wrote I installed XFCE but my login choice says LXDE???)
Last edited by xetaprime on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

xetaprime does e17 still come up with "e17 has encountered a problem" every time you change anything? I liked e17 other than seeing that error all the time.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Hi exploder, no error messages. The only issue I have and have had with other distros is changing icons on ITask-NG. The blanl spaces you see are where apps are. Haven't figured that out yet. I know once on PCLinuxOSE17 when I installed Kmix and added it to the panel icons appeared. Didn't happen here hmmm.

One of the reasons I tried Mint 9 was I read I could open folders as root but I don't think I can. Haven't used gksu yet.

I'm rather peeved that new distros have taken root login away :(
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

xetaprime, hey thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Sounds like for the most part e17 is working well for you. I think you have to turn on some modules to get the mixer in the panel but it's been a while since I tried e17.
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

MoonOS apparently is coming out with a new release (#4) sometime in September. The dev of it said he was waiting for a stable release of E17/had something else to do. Nevertheless, that makes me think that E17 might actually have a stable release coming out...that would be amazing. E17 has the potential to be one of the best DE's ever. Hope it works. Also, ty for posting your success with E17. I tried installing it to LM8 Fluxbox and got a ton of errors...I probably did something wrong.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Hey all!

Just wanted to give a tip in case anyone has been having similar issues with some icons not showing up in Itask-ng. I installed kmix and ksnapshot and couldn't get them to show by editing the icon directly. What I did was go to /usr/share/applications/kde4 and edit the application there. Right click, then on properties and you can select an icon from there or your home folder. Cool beans :) I've also got remastersys working so I can make a working backup-awesome!!!

from the desktop of my live dvd :)

Best wishes,
Xeta
bolle

Post by bolle »

that looks really nice!
release beta please :)
gizmo-au

Post by gizmo-au »

I too would love to see Mint E17.

Mint is my favourite distro, I use it on my desktop, but my geriatric notebook with 192 Mb ram can't run Mint LXDE comfortably. It loads really slow, CPU fan runs constantly.

I changed to PCLOS e17 and it runs great. I have had to do a bit of tweaking of settings and have had to ask for lots of help from the PCLOS forum, but I'm happy with it now. The only thing I want that so far I can't do is set it to auto-play audio cds when inserted. I have to start the cd player software (exaile) manually.

I am using that e17 computer now, I have been on the net for over an hour using firefox, and the CPU fan has just come on, so it isn't working too hard.

e17 seems to be a little clumsy to configure if I don't want to accept the default settings, in that the settings seem to be scattered through the menu. The menu can be a bit irritating in that you go through so many levels to get to an app. for example: menu>applications>more applications>configuration>network centre.
I got around this by adding my most frequently used apps to the ibar. (single click on an icon to open the app.)

e17 seems to use different names for familiar functions: what is called a "panel" in other distros is called the "shelf", which adds to confusion.

When I add an app to the ibar, I have to manually select the icon to appear on the ibar, fine when you know where to look in the filesystem - I needed help from the forum for that, for example.

I have had no crashes or conflicts with this e17 installation, yet I had serious trouble with other lightweight distros on this computer. (couldn't get printing to work at all with vector linux, for example.) So I'm not sure why e17 is considered unstable.

Mint + e17 seems to be a great combination from my point of view. I'm just a user not a dev, and a near-newbie too, so I realize there may be technical reasons why it could be difficult. But I'd love to see it.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

keljaden wrote:While I agree that Elive looks good, there are a number of things that distro does wrong...most of them in the MORAL department such as hiding their $15 charge...oh and charging their users for openoffice...

As far as MoonOS, they will be releasing MoonOS4 in the fall this year (they pushed the release back).
MoonOS is good, but doesn't use Ecomorph.

Then you have openGEU...which is still using 8.10 That is way to old and most likely has secure holes at this point as security updates for it have been cancelled.

The only way it could happen for mint if a developer who was really motivated wished to do it.

I agree. It seems rather dishonest....also if you cant pay, they have a solution.....you have to go advertise their site writting up a 5 paragraph essay about why their distro is the best (Before you even get to try a true install btw), and you have to post it up on 5 different websites that they deem worthy....then, they MIGHT get around to hearing your case and MAY grant you a demo.....it seems like they are cheating people.....You can make money by offering services, but charging people for Open Office?

Maybe somebody should bite the bullet and pay the $15, see if we can install Remasterys via Deb file and make an ISO of our desktop and put it on the Pirate Bay......(This is just a hypothetical voiced out of frustration, not a real plan or advocacy)....PM me.

But speaking of Remasterys, I have gotten E17 to work on Mint. Its not that hard.

I am thinking about making a distro based on LXDE or XFCE with E17 added along with the cracking tools from Backtrack and Samurai OS, some custom wallpapers and some really great reading materials, maybe some other neat bonuses......Probably based on Mint and OzOS or OpenGEU or MoonOS or a combination.

Sometimes repositories are not fully compatible, but you can still make your own repository of .deb files with AptonCD....a neat little alternative to making a backup of remasterys is to make repository disks from various debian based distros that you try, and this SOMETIMES helps you get around incompatibilities in the repositories themselves, since a deb file is a deb file.

Ive been studying.....Im still a beginner but I could probably hack up an unsupported E17 distro and turn it into an OEM if anybody wants to help me seed.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

xetaprime wrote:Hey all!

Just wanted to give a tip in case anyone has been having similar issues with some icons not showing up in Itask-ng. I installed kmix and ksnapshot and couldn't get them to show by editing the icon directly. What I did was go to /usr/share/applications/kde4 and edit the application there. Right click, then on properties and you can select an icon from there or your home folder. Cool beans :) I've also got remastersys working so I can make a working backup-awesome!!!

from the desktop of my live dvd :)

Best wishes,
Xeta

Id be happy to check yours our.....Any chance you would change it to an OEM (Or change your name and password) then share your distro via torrent?
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

I really think that there should be a good, up to date, distro for people to try out E17, perhaps with a Mint base... If anybody starts a new project involving E17, please let me know and I will try to help you the best that I can...

/VascoDaGama
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

vascodagama wrote:I really think that there should be a good, up to date, distro for people to try out E17, perhaps with a Mint base... If anybody starts a new project involving E17, please let me know and I will try to help you the best that I can...

/VascoDaGama

There is OzOS, OpenGEU and MoonOS....you can add their repositories to Mint, MoonOS being the closest to Mint and OZos also being Ubuntu based plus OpenGEU WAS Ubuntu but now Debian....maybe with Mint Debian? I like all 3.

I think MoonOS actually was based on Mint, but I dont know if they have ecomorph yet....do they?
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

Nick_Djinn wrote:
vascodagama wrote:I really think that there should be a good, up to date, distro for people to try out E17, perhaps with a Mint base... If anybody starts a new project involving E17, please let me know and I will try to help you the best that I can...

/VascoDaGama

There is OzOS, OpenGEU and MoonOS....you can add their repositories to Mint, MoonOS being the closest to Mint and OZos also being Ubuntu based plus OpenGEU WAS Ubuntu but now Debian....maybe with Mint Debian? I like all 3.

I think MoonOS actually was based on Mint, but I dont know if they have ecomorph yet....do they?
While I agree that they are nice distros, they are not exactly up to date: OzOS is based on Ubuntu 8.04, OpenGEU is based on 9.10 and MoonOS has stopped using E17 (they use Gnome for the next release).
I am running a Mint desktop with the Enlightenment teams E17 packages on top... It works well, but you have to know how get everything working, and that can be really difficult (haven't figured everything out yet). That is why I asked if anobody would be interested in making a more up to date and user friendly E17 version. I think it would be a great way to showcase E17 for new users...

Best, VascoDaGama
stewie

Post by stewie »

just my 2cents but if people really want a enlightment desktop distro based on mint then I think you all should get together and start building it
vascodagama

Post by vascodagama »

stewie wrote:just my 2cents but if people really want a enlightment desktop distro based on mint then I think you all should get together and start building it
Okay, anybody out there who wants to help build it?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”