Mandriva Sold To Russian Firm And Former Developers Fork It

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Mandriva Sold To Russian Firm And Former Developers Fork It

Post by linuxviolin »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
zerozero

Re: Mandriva Sold To Russian Firm And Former Developers Fork

Post by zerozero »

Yes, yes I know!! I been following these news very closely with a mix of concern about Mandriva's future and hope in Mageia, the new community fork.

I just don't trust a unknown corporation that comes out of the blue and takes over another to use their resources and make a national Linux distro. Call me paranoid.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

The beginning of Linux piracy.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

What possible commercial interest would this Russian firm have in acquiring Mandriva?

(As a side note - the Mandriva logos remind me of the Communist era USSR)

ps: is it true that Mandriva RPM repository is second only to DEbian in no of packages.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

What possible commercial interest would this Russian firm have in acquiring Mandriva
That's one of the questions nobody apparently knows how to answer, ever because no-one seems to know exactly who they are.

ps: is it true that Mandriva RPM repository is second only to DEbian in no of packages.
I never counted the number of packages and libraries, but lets put it this way, apart from some specific *buntu stuff what we find build in .deb is also in .rpm
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Number of packages is a very poor metric on its own. Debian splits all of its packages into normal and -dev versions, and sometimes what you can find in one or two Arch packages would take 7 or 8 in Debian (not including the -dev ones). Different projects have different packaging philosophies.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zerozero wrote:i never counted the number of packages and libraries, but lets put it this way, apart from some specific *buntu stuff what we find build in .deb is also in .rpm
WE can read whatever we want...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Of course it has commercial value. If it became the official national Linux distribution, guess who will be providing it. :twisted:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Just out of curiosity, tell us...

Not that that matters to much now, since the announcement of Mageia but it's always good to know the backgrounds of this business.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

randomizer wrote:Number of packages is a very poor metric on its own. Debian splits all of its packages into normal and -dev versions, and sometimes what you can find in one or two Arch packages would take 7 or 8 in Debian (not including the -dev ones). Different projects have different packaging philosophies.
So you mean that in Arch there will be one package per application, whereas in Debian, there will be 7?
And that if you wish to actually count the packages - you should divide the deb packages by 7 before comparing to others?

Really?

If thats the case - I wonder who is actually at the top?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

alpha1 wrote:So you mean that in Arch there will be one package per application, whereas in Debian, there will be 7?
And that if you wish to actually count the packages - you should divide the deb packages by 7 before comparing to others?

Really?

That was a random example of an application whose name I can't remember. It was at the extreme end of the scale. However a Debian package is normally split into at least 2 or 3 packages: Normal, dev and debug. Normal running only requires the first. Compiling requires the second if that application is needed during the build process. My main point was that simply comparing the number of packages directly is Apples to Oranges. Arch has alot of package, but most are in the Arch User Repository and these don't undergo proper QA tests (most of the popular ones are fine though).
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

alpha1 wrote:
randomizer wrote:Number of packages is a very poor metric on its own. Debian splits all of its packages into normal and -dev versions, and sometimes what you can find in one or two Arch packages would take 7 or 8 in Debian (not including the -dev ones). Different projects have different packaging philosophies.
So you mean that in Arch there will be one package per application, whereas in Debian, there will be 7?

Really?

Well, for instance .deb vs .rpm: you have often several deb packages for an app when you have just one rpm package for this app... e.g. Firefox: just 1 .rpm with everything (languages...) and how many .deb?

This is just an example but you have practically the same thing for all packages... OK you have more of .deb packages but because every package is cut in several subpackages... So the number of packages comparison is not a real/absolute good thing. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Chat about Linux”