Live Disc wont Run

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Binx

Live Disc wont Run

Post by Binx »

Anyone got any ideas why i cant get the mint debian live disc to run on my machine, i've tried compatibility mode as well, each time i end up with a black screen and a blinking cursor,the disc is good, it runs a work and pass self test, the drive is ok cos it will run any other distro no problem.i do hope there is a workaround for this, cos i'm gagging for it :lol: The PC has an athlon xp2.2, 768 ram and 64 meg nvidia ti200 its all about 7 years old :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gnomic

Re: Live Disc wont Run

Post by gnomic »

Kinda hard to know why yr machine won't work with this, but on the basis of the symptoms it sounds like some sort of fresh Xorg hell, probably involving the infernal kernel modesetting, aka KMS. One expedient might be to swap out the video card (you *do* have a couple of spare ones in a cupboard, right?) and see if it then boots. Or maybe you can investigate what magic incantations you may be able to add at boot time to try and persuade the video system to play nicely. You have of course by now spent many happy hours searching these forums and the wider web on problems to do with your current video card and the like :-) Sometimes support for antique video cards may not be included with the nv driver in today's distros. I speak as the owner of a couple of such antiques.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

The black screen due to kernel modesetting KMS affects Debian as well as Ubuntu varieties of Mint. The basic fix is to use a boot parameter of nomodeset. HERE is a reference to this in the Debian forums.

In another thread I posted this regarding the issue in Ubuntu derivatives, nevertheless, the boot parameters suggested should hold true.
It sounds like you may have stumbled into the Kernel Modesetting (KMS) issue. It can manifest in several ways. Check this post. First try the nomodeset boot parameter outlined in the post and its links before trying the commands for specific hardware.
Binx

Post by Binx »

gnomic wrote:One expedient might be to swap out the video card (you *do* have a couple of spare ones in a cupboard, right?)
No, if i had another card it would be older than this one :lol:
gnomic wrote:You have of course by now spent many happy hours searching these forums and the wider web on problems to do with your current video card and the like :-) Sometimes support for antique video cards may not be included with the nv driver in today's distros. I speak as the owner of a couple of such antiques.
I am running mint9 as my main os, with full 3D support so i assume my card is supported. :mrgreen:
dawgdoc wrote:First try the nomodeset boot parameter outlined in the post and its links before trying the commands for specific hardware.
How exactly should i do the nomodeset thing. the way i did it was, at the menu select compatibility mode, press tab to edit, then type nomodeset then hit enter.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Binx wrote:How exactly should i do the nomodeset thing. the way i did it was, at the menu select compatibility mode, press tab to edit, then type nomodeset then hit enter.
Sounds right, at the Grub menu you did not have to select compatibility - just press tab, towards the bottom of the screen there is a line of text for the kernel line, put nomodeset at the end of the line, it may have wrapped to a second line, then follow the instructions on the screen regarding continuing the start up process.
Binx

Post by Binx »

dawgdoc wrote:
Binx wrote:How exactly should i do the nomodeset thing. the way i did it was, at the menu select compatibility mode, press tab to edit, then type nomodeset then hit enter.
Sounds right, at the Grub menu you did not have to select compatibility - just press tab, towards the bottom of the screen there is a line of text for the kernel line, put nomodeset at the end of the line, it may have wrapped to a second line, then follow the instructions on the screen regarding continuing the start up process.
Thanks, i'll give it another go :mrgreen:
Binx

Post by Binx »

Tried again, still no joy, nevermind at least i can run mint9 and thats going great :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”