Firefox software updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ginjabunny

Firefox software updates

Post by ginjabunny »

Today on both my LMDE systems I have had software update notication pop-ups from Firefox, are the Mint flavoured updates going to appear in the repository or should I start Firefox as root let it update itself (or does that break the Mint branding?).
I did the former in Mint9 but the latter when I went Ubuntuzilla when it lagged a while back, so not sure what to do?

GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slumbergod

Re: Firefox software updates

Post by slumbergod »

Yes, others in the forums explained to me that Firefox is one of the applications that comes from the Mint Debian repos.
Just be patient and within a day or two it'll be offered it in the available updates.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

still waiting
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Me too! Waiting for this, because my firefox want to install new updates... Anybody knows? :oops:
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Or just install Iceweasel from the Debian repos.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100916 Iceweasel/3.6.10 (like Firefox/3.6.10)
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Don't wait too long, folks. LMDE's version is 3.6.8 and upstream is already 3.6.10.
Clem must be very busy and isn't giving this a highest priority so either relax and keep it the way it is or install Mozilla's version as instructed at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p315606

-edit- craigevil is talking about the one from experimental, for that one has to enable the experimental debian repository (no worries, it just installs what you ask). Testing has 3.5.12 which, while being a former main version, is updated security wise (edit- or will be when it gets to 3.5.13, already in Sid).
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I got too impatient, I let it update itself, may have broken the Mintiness of it, will find out later.

I did sudo fireox then ran check for updates but did not restart but closed and did sudo firefox again then it installed the update itself, I think folders it installs itself into are as per Ubuntu (in etc and usr) and not Debian (in opt) becuase when I started it again it said it is not he default browser.
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey »

I just installed LMDE a few days ago. Then tonight Firefox tried to update itself and I got the message below. I'm the administrator. There are no other user accounts.
When I checked under Users & Groups > User Permissions, nothing is checked off. That makes no sense to me.
My Firefox is not the Mint branded version, but generic Firefox 3.6.8.
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

You're not the administrator, root is the administrator (unless you're running the desktop as root).
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

you need to run "sudo firefox" from terminal then the updater has the rights to write the files to the system folders
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

If you are going to run Debian you should really give Iceweasel a try.

# apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 3.6.10-1
Candidate: 4.0~b5-0
Version table:
4.0~b5-0 0 ( Same as the current Firefox 4 beta )
500 http://mozilla.debian.net/packages/ ./ Packages
*** 3.6.10-1 0 ( Same as the current Firefox release)
101 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
3.5.13-1 0 ( Same as the current Firefox 3.5.x )
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages

All of the above packages are maintianed by the same Debian dev.

If you must have the version in experimental, you can add to your /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101

You would still need to do apt-get -t experimental install packagename
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey »

ginjabunny wrote:you need to run "sudo firefox" from terminal then the updater has the rights to write the files to the system folders
OK. I thought I'd read that running Firefox (or other apps) as root was not a good idea. This is more different than Ubuntu-based Mint than I realised.
Thanks.
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

it's only to allow it to update.
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

while I'm waiting for Firefox to be updated in the Mint Debian repository (I only manually updated one PC to 3.6.10, the other is still 3.6.8 ) I have another question which affects Firefox, this is, I noticed that overnight my Ubuntu server updated itself with the latest verion of Flash player ("flashplugin-installer 10.1.82.76ubuntu0.10.04.2 => 10.1.85.3ubuntu0.10.04.1"), in the Mint Debian repository it is only listed as flashplugin-nonfree 1:2.8.1 so if reinstalled does this only install a certain version or does it always install the latest??
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

ginjabunny wrote:you need to run "sudo firefox" from terminal then the updater has the rights to write the files to the system folders
Thank you. I've tried this one and everything seemed to work.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

maybe Clem has forgotten about it?

On the Flash player front, I couldn't do a re-install because the flashplugin-nonfree deb package is no where to be found.
I manually installed the newer version 1:2.8.2 which I downloaded from the sid page http://packages.debian.org/sid/flashplugin-nonfree, using
dpkg -i flashplugin-nonfree_2.8.2_i386.deb

Return to “LMDE Archive”