MSOS - Microsoft Open Source

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

MSOS - Microsoft Open Source

Post by clem »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is what they say on that page
By embracing diverse application development approaches and partner business models, Microsoft participates in a world of choice in which individuals and organizations can pursue their goals based on what uniquely inspires them, including open source.
Doesn't that look like PR bullshit :)
But there seems to be some change in Microsofts attitude, LInux is probably growing to much for comfort. The 64000 dollar question is where to....
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

If you can't buy them or destroy them. Join them, wrap scripts around them that make installation and removal easy - charge money for what people could do themselves, and set up an off-shore tech support service (charge a fee). I only took a quick read at the link, but what I saw was open source and choice, but no-where did I see free as a beer. :twisted:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

They will only use it to their advantage.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I think it's great news. Microsoft is helping the market move towards open-source, something they're not good at selling, something they don't fully understand and something that will deeply change a market where they used to be the leaders.

Things are moving too fast for slow companies.

Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

"Turning a supertanker"
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

clem wrote:I think it's great news. Microsoft is helping the market move towards open-source, something they're not good at selling, something they don't fully understand and something that will deeply change a market where they used to be the leaders.

Things are moving too fast for slow companies.

Clem
I guess it's good that MS is moving people towards open source, but I still don't trust them. I can't help but feel they've got something up their sleeve.

The Vole will always be the Vole.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I sure hope you're right Clem. Although I tend toward the - I don't trust them - side of the spectrum, you do have a very salient point: With things changing fast in the open source community and with users getting a taste of how good the software applications are, they (the user community) are bound to start thinking on their own while being fed by the 3000-pound gorilla.
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

They want smart people to write good code for them. Oh wait, almost forgot WHO CODES ON PROFESSIONAL LEVEL FOR FREE? INSANE! -Bill Gates long time ago in an open letter to computer enthusiasts (rephrased).
The Microsoft open source strategy is focused on helping customers and partners be successful in today's heterogeneous technology world. This includes increasing opportunities for business partners regardless of the underlying development model. In addition, it includes increasing opportunities for developers to learn and create by combining community-oriented open source with traditional commercial approaches to software development.
Translation: Micr0s0ft pwnz u!!!! frking l0zrz!!

Why even hire people? Look at the logic! If people can code you good code for free, why even bother paying salaries?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I think we should start a thread with links to all the times microsoft talked against Open Source and the community... degrading us, calling us communists and all sorts of things... and then rotflmao at how they're lapping up the vomit for words they spewed... hahaha

still i dont trust them one bit... and i hope this opens the eyes of the developers and gets them to move to a completely open platform!

Return to “Open Chat”