If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Theologian

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by Theologian »

'(This seems to be turning into a Debian discussion: New post, perhaps?) Uh, Sabayon is Gentoo, not Debian.'
Cheers Bob, I'm aware of this.

My point is this: As LinuxMint has 'her' roots in Debian, & as I've heard rumours of a possible move to a more definite basis in Debian rather than Ubuntu, is it worth a new thread?

Ubuntu seems to be becoming (inevitably) more 'singular', in that (according to 'Ubuntu User' issue 05) only Ubuntu main & Kubuntu are accorded LTS status, & certain '<xyz>buntu'/'Ubuntu <xyz> edition' distros have been required to change their names & drop the '(U)buntu': quite rightly so IMHO, because sectarianism/factionalism is obviously antithetical to the universal ideology of 'Ubuntu' (I've actually seen complaints about the African theme & start-up music on one forum :? :!: :?: ), although others have not been censured.

However, if such singularisation by Ubuntu led to LinuxMint no longer having ease of access to Ubuntu's repositories, a move to a more definite basis in Debian would seem a natural move, rather than shifting base completely, e.g. to RPM. CrunchBang#! 8) has moved to a Debian base, & it is perhaps inevitable to move to Debian, whether the idea of too singular a distro loses its appeal, or just because 'Linuxers' can't keep out of the sweet-shop (candy store). :mrgreen:
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

There is already one other thread running on this subject:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44885
Others have hinted at it.
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

bobcollard wrote:There is already one other thread running on this subject:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44885
Others have hinted at it.
Cheers! I liked the starting post! :shock:

I must see whether muLinux will run - as claimed - on my vintage 4MB RAM laptop. I wonder if a green desktop environment would fit on. :mrgreen:
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I'd keep maintaining the rolling LMDE release :mrgreen:
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

omns wrote:I'd keep maintaining the rolling LMDE release :mrgreen:
Cool: you must have the entire Debian repo on disc!
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

openBSD, Debian, Ubuntu 8)
vincent

Post by vincent »

Theologian wrote:
omns wrote:I'd keep maintaining the rolling LMDE release :mrgreen:
Cool: you must have the entire Debian repo on disc!
You don't need any discs to keep a Debian install up-to-date. Debian Mint relies primarily on Debian repos, so even if Mint disappears, you'll still be able to keep your Debian Mint install up-to-date with the latest software, except you won't get any updates from the Mint repo for any Mint tools and the like.
eric k

Post by eric k »

Well, I've got PCLinuxOS installed in VirtualBox right now, so that's probably where I'd stick for a bit if Mint disappeared suddenly.

Hope that never happens though. :)
JessiRay

Post by JessiRay »

Probably Ubuntu, or maybe OpenSUSE. I quite liked Open when I tried it in an emulator... But I did use Ubuntu before and was relatively happy with it. I tried Fedora in a virtual box, I didn't really see what the hype was... and I don't like that it doesn't support some media codecs (I heard you can't play copyrighted DVDs in Fedora, or something crazy like that. Correct me if I'm wrong). Though, I haven't tried Arch Linux yet and I'm fairly interested to see what that's about. Once I get settled into Mint, I'll probably do a Virtual Box install of that and check it out.
karimbardee

Post by karimbardee »

I would use PClinux for sure, my second choice is OpenSuse.
colyn

Post by colyn »

A 44 mag.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I guess I'd go back to Debian. But I seriously doubt it will come to that..
newfie

Post by newfie »

- I'd probably try out Debian Testing, since I enjoy LMDE so much.

- Another choice would be OpenSUSE. I hate it to death, but I love it when it actually works.. which can be painfully hard sometimes.

- Fedora.. if it's stable enough. I don't want more crashing like last time, costing me some documents due to some weird corruption on an update.

- I don't like Mandriva or PCLinuxOS, but I could give PCLinuxOS a go if I really had to use it.

- I am a recent OS X user and loving it. Still prefer Linux though.

I'm not going back to Ubuntu. 10.04 was a disaster along with 9.10. How a small team (Mint) can turn a large company (Canonical) product into a less buggy and better experience is beyond me. Either Clem and company are doing something extremely right, or Canonical is doing something extremely wrong.
stewie

Post by stewie »

Pcoslinux or fedora maybe debian
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

I go back to Windows 95 :lol:
Not really. I would use my other favorite distro #!, Crunchbang.
Wait a minute, I am, on my laptop. :D
With LMDE and Statler around, things are looking up!
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I would switch to Foresight or PCBSD. More thank likely the first since it is a rolling release like LMDE. :)
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

There's no question. After Mint, Crunchbang is my favorite. It's light, fast, and reliable.

mikhou
naildownx

Post by naildownx »

Straight Debian here :) Statler would be nice...for a pre-configured setup
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

As a former user of Linux Mint Gnome editions i have switched to and love Mint 9 KDE...I always liked the way Kubuntu looked but in running live cds of various versions (9.10 and 10.04) i felt like it wasn't complete and polished....Mint makes kubuntu VERY POLISHED and COMPLETE....
However, just out of curiousity, i downloaded the latest beta of the forthcoming kubuntu 10.10 and was really surprised...it seems to be running very smooth and does have a finished and polished feel to it...

Even the KPackageKit which use to really suck actually worked very well when i tried downloading some programs...you can even add Synaptic Package Manager using it as well...and the Kubuntu Restricted Extras now gives you everything you need except for the encrypted dvd codec which of course you can get from medibuntu's website with one copy and paste in to the terminal...

So...if Mint KDE disappeared...i'd go over to Kubuntu (as of 10.10 that is...lol)... :wink:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Don't even think such a thing! :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

some Arch - based distro ... maybe ArchBang

Return to “Chat about Linux”