Install Fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
harshana

Install Fluxbox

Post by harshana »

I have Linux mint 9 Isodora and i wan to install fluxbox to it. How can i do it?
Thanx....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Install Fluxbox

Post by richyrich »

It takes a LOT of tweaking under the hood, and manually editing config files to get Fluxbox up and running properly. Kendall has produced an awesome Community Edition of Fluxbox. I humbly suggest that you download the Mint 9 Fluxbox iso file, check the md5sum, burn it to CD, and try it live. :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've moved this here.
Seems like a better place for it
oscar799
Forum Admin
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

You can install Fluxbox by searching for it the in the software manager.

I should warn you that Fluxbox is a very minimal window manager. It only manages your windows and nothing else. You will have to configure the rest yourself. On the brighter side, it is rather easy to set things up if you read a bit. It is all a matter of editing simple text files.

You will find all the info you need on the wiki http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title ... ish_howtos
Spalding

Post by Spalding »

I just installed the Fluxbox edition and I didn't have to do any configuration at all. So far it is awesome!

One question - am I still running Compiz with Fluxbox? I remember back in Ubuntu I had to disable all the special effects in Compiz to get decent performance on an old 256 MB PC.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

You cannot run Compiz and Fluxbox at the same time since they are both window managers.
Spalding

Post by Spalding »

shane wrote:You cannot run Compiz and Fluxbox at the same time since they are both window managers.
Excellent, thanks! I am a die-hard Fluxbox fan now! I just found a thread here on how to set autologin, and I saw that the config file is in etc/lxde, so I guess I am also running the Lightweight X Desktop Environment. Also a very good thing.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

For folks who don't mind doing a little bit of work up front, adding Fluxbox to something the existing installation isn't all that bad. That's how I normally install Fluxbox -- haven't ever used the Mint Fluxbox edition. The wiki that shane linked to provides good info, and there's other info out there as well. The main things to do are to keep good notes and make a copy of your menu file. Both of those things can come in handy for future Fluxbox installations.

Return to “Software & Applications”