[SOLVED] Install worked fine, but non-functioning X.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chris_debian

[SOLVED] Install worked fine, but non-functioning X.

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, all!

First post! Really pleased with the decision to try a release based on Testing.

I installed last night and applied all the updates. I've just booted the new PC and it boots fine, but doesn't start X correctly; I just get a blank screen. I can get to other tty's on F1 etc, so am able to access the terminal. I've run an update again in-case I needed something patching, and then I tried

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
That's how I used to configure X, but I guess it has changed since then. When I use the command, I get the prompt back, but without any errors. Still no functioning X.

Is this an LMDE quirk? Has anyone else seen it? Squeeze works fine (with X).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
secipolla

Re: Install worked fine, but non-functioning X.

Post by secipolla »

What happens if you go to tty1 (ctrl+alt+F1), login as root and run

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
If it says it's going to install newer xorg stuff, install them, reboot and see if it's ok.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a dist-upgrade and got 120+ megs of upgrades, including xserver-xorg-video-all. Once installed, I rebooted the box to give X a chance to detect the hardware and generate an X config. Unfortunately I still have the same problem. BTW, will I always have to do a dist-upgrade? /etc/apt/sources.list is pointing to testing, so I thought a normal upgrade would be fine.

I checked the X log and I can't see any errors. I'm using an ATI Radeon.

Does this help, at all?

Thanks,

Chris.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Check if you have libgl1-mesa-dri installed. If not, then install it and see if it boots to X.

What will possibly fix it for you is edit /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf and set modeset=0

echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
Then after you have it working, depending on the model of your GPU, you can install the proprietary driver for it.
For you to see the model, run

inxi -G
A workaround for you to have X is to hit 'e' at the GRUB menu screen, add xforcevesa to the end of the "linux" line then ctrl+x to boot. Better still, instead of xforcevesa you could add radeon.modeset=0 or nomodeset and see how it goes.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478004

For the differences between the free radeon driver and the proprietary one from ATI (package fglrx-driver in Debian), see:
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon
http://www.x.org/wiki/ATIProprietaryDriver
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, secipolla!

I tried the first line you suggested, but because I didn't already have a radeon-kms.conf, it (naturally) wouldn't let me do it. I'd prefer not to install any proprietary software unless I really have to, and I've never had any problems installing Debian derived distros and getting the graphics to work.

I already have libgl1-mesa-dri installed.
I tried to add xforcevesa to the end of my grub entry as suggested, but for some reason, the 'o' of my keyboard isn't mapped correctly at that stage of the boot, so I can't add it.

I'll turn my PC off for a bit and think about what I'm going to do. It may just be that LMDE is still in need of a bit more development before I use it properly. This is to be expected as the project is so young.

Thanks for everyone's help, so far.

Cheers,

Chris.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Well Chris, you should have /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf because it's part of the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package. I use a standard Debian, don't have an ATI card and have that file.
If the live-DVD worked fine and you started to have problems only with the installed system, it's possible that the installation didn't go well. Like you say you have problems with the keyboard too.

If the live-DVD works, then you could try to reinstall if you want. To check the DVD, put it in the drive and run

md5sum /dev/dvd
then check if it matches the md5sum of the iso file as posted in Mint's site. Also did you get the ISO recently? The first ISO launched before the announcement had a buggy installer, to make sure you have the latest you can run while on the live system

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install live-installer
and then install.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, again!

Slight delay replying as I've just done a fresh install, just out of curiosity.

The install went fine and I rebooted into my shiny new Mint and opened a terminal and did

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
I then rebooted and have exactly the same problem.

Hmmm...

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Just posting this from a Mint ( Xfce install on the same box. The video card is
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]
I hope to try another install soon and hopefully work out what is not configured correctly.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

This is exactly the same symptom that I get and could be worth following up:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/fglrx-fi ... -1010.html

Posted this for other people to see, that have the same problem as me.

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Does anyone know whether it's possible for a different driver to be used instead of this one, as I'm guessing that as the repo's are frozen until Squeeze is released, then my graphics problem could last indefinately if I am forced to use the fglrx functionality.

Cheers,

Chris.
Smart Viking

Post by Smart Viking »

chris_debian wrote:Does anyone know whether it's possible for a different driver to be used instead of this one, as I'm guessing that as the repo's are frozen until Squeeze is released, then my graphics problem could last indefinately if I am forced to use the fglrx functionality.

Cheers,

Chris.
Out of curiosity, launch

sudo startx
from a tty. :)
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Will try this when I get home. When I tried startx as a normal user (me), it told me that X was already running, so I guess I'll need to find which process it is and kill it. So X is running, it's just not running properly.

Thanks,

Chris.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

The newer fglrx driver is in Sid (version 10.9).

Disclaimer: I run plain Sid and I suppose the information below is correct but I never did it myself.

You could boot into your system, ctrl+alt+F1, login as root, run*

service gdm3 stop
then put "unstable" lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list (just like the ones you have for "testing", except for the security ones which don't exist in Debian unstable), then create an /etc/apt/apt.conf

touch /etc/apt/apt.conf
with the following contents

APT::Default-Release "testing"; 
then

apt-get update && apt-get install -t unstable fglrx-driver fglrx-control
then

aticonfig --initial
then reboot.

* I'm assuming LMDE uses GDM 3, if it uses regular GDM then the command is "service gdm stop".

For more information on running a mixed testing/unstable system, read http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Tips:
- you can use nano to edit your files.
- you can install links2 for a command line browser. It's easy to use. You can be logged as root in tty1 then ctrl+alt+F2, login as a regular user, run links2 and read this post in tty2 while doing the installation in tty1, for instance.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

secipolla wrote:The newer fglrx driver is in Sid (version 10.9).

Disclaimer: I run plain Sid and I suppose the information below is correct but I never did it myself.

You could boot into your system, ctrl+alt+F1, login as root, run*

service gdm3 stop
then put "unstable" lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list (just like the ones you have for "testing", except for the security ones which don't exist in Debian unstable), then create an /etc/apt/apt.conf

touch /etc/apt/apt.conf
with the following contents

APT::Default-Release "testing"; 
then

apt-get update && apt-get install -t unstable fglrx-driver fglrx-control
then

aticonfig --initial
then reboot.

* I'm assuming LMDE uses GDM 3, if it uses regular GDM then the command is "service gdm stop".

For more information on running a mixed testing/unstable system, read http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Tips:
- you can use nano to edit your files.
- you can install links2 for a command line browser. It's easy to use. You can be logged as root in tty1 then ctrl+alt+F2, login as a regular user, run links2 and read this post in tty2 while doing the installation in tty1, for instance.
secipolla,

Thanks for taking the time to document a possible solution. I'd really like to stick with testing, not unstable (Sid). As Squeeze works fine on the same box, i'd prefer to try to work out what the difference is and why LMDE won't work. I really do appreciate the time you took to reply.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

I'm going to do a Squeeze install now and see if I can find anything out. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. I will probably start with lsmod to see what is loaded. Will also see if Squeeze create an X conf file.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

I'll have to put the Squeeze idea on hold and think of a Plan B. The current Squeeze image keeps failing for me, at the beginning of the install. I'll concentrate on finding a solution from within Mint, i.e, using a different way of driving my ATI video card.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Well,

I've got LM9 installed and the following is the output from lsmod. Hopefully it will help with the imminent LMDE install:

Module                  Size  Used by
dm_crypt               11331  0 
snd_via82xx            20058  4 
gameport                9089  1 snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec        100646  1 snd_via82xx
ac97_bus                1002  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            35308  0 
snd_mixer_oss          13746  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                70662  3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc          7076  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         5617  1 snd_via82xx
snd_seq_dummy           1338  0 
snd_seq_oss            26726  0 
snd_seq_midi            4557  0 
snd_rawmidi            19056  2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      6003  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
arc4                    1153  2 
snd_seq                47263  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
rt61pci                18920  0 
crc_itu_t               1371  1 rt61pci
snd_timer              19098  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
rt2x00pci               5995  1 rt61pci
snd_seq_device          5700  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
rt2x00lib              27509  2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
led_class               2864  1 rt2x00lib
snd                    54148  15 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
mac80211              204922  2 rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
ppdev                   5259  0 
cfg80211              126485  2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
via686a                10986  0 
eeprom_93cx6            1333  1 rt61pci
soundcore               6620  3 snd
i2c_viapro              5573  0 
lp                      7028  0 
parport_pc             25962  1 
shpchp                 28820  0 
parport                32635  3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
dm_raid45              81647  0 
xor                    15028  1 dm_raid45
fbcon                  35102  71 
tileblit                2031  1 fbcon
font                    7557  1 fbcon
bitblit                 4707  1 fbcon
softcursor              1189  1 bitblit
vga16fb                11385  0 
vgastate                8961  1 vga16fb
radeon                674135  2 
ttm                    49943  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         29297  1 radeon
usbhid                 36110  0 
3c59x                  31839  0 
drm                   162471  4 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
via_agp                 5310  1 
hid                    67032  1 usbhid
i2c_algo_bit            5028  1 radeon
mii                     4381  1 3c59x
pata_via                7272  2 
agpgart                31724  3 ttm,drm,via_agp
Looks like this could have the answer, I should be using a Radeon module.

http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

I have the following installed:

ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.13.0-1ubuntu5 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.13.0-1ubuntu5 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper

I'm going to try a fresh LXDM install and ensure these items are added, fingers crossed!

Chris.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Hi Chris, these come by default in xorg. And you know they work because you said the problem appears only after the update.

You could check what's being updated. I suspect of xorg itself but I know so little about ATI cards (just had NVIDIAs) that I wouldn't know why it stops working (besides the info on those links I posted a earlier).

I think mintupdate holds back xorg, maybe "apt-get upgrade" would too while "apt-get dist-upgrade" would update it. Don't know.
You can simulate both actions with the -s option, i.e.
sudo apt-get -s upgrade
sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

secipolla wrote:Hi Chris, these come by default in xorg. And you know they work because you said the problem appears only after the update.

You could check what's being updated. I suspect of xorg itself but I know so little about ATI cards (just had NVIDIAs) that I wouldn't know why it stops working (besides the info on those links I posted a earlier).

I think mintupdate holds back xorg, maybe "apt-get upgrade" would too while "apt-get dist-upgrade" would update it. Don't know.
You can simulate both actions with the -s option, i.e.
sudo apt-get -s upgrade
sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
Many thanks, I'll let you know what happens when I finish the current LMDE install. I referred to checking the ATI and Radeon stuff was installed, because I wasn't sure whether the upgrade after the initial install, removes them for some reason. Additionally, a newer kernel is installed I think, so it could be possible that something has been turned-off in the display drivers area.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Smart Viking wrote:
chris_debian wrote:Does anyone know whether it's possible for a different driver to be used instead of this one, as I'm guessing that as the repo's are frozen until Squeeze is released, then my graphics problem could last indefinately if I am forced to use the fglrx functionality.

Cheers,

Chris.
Out of curiosity, launch

sudo startx
from a tty. :)
The problem is that X is already running (sort of), and when I kill it, it re-spawns. Because of this, I can't start X as root.

Chris.

Return to “LMDE Archive”