alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

Post by kmb42vt »

I just happened to notice a couple problems with LMDE involving the 'alt+F2' key combination and the Print Screen key in that pressing alt+F2 does not bring up the run dialog and hitting the Print Screen does not bring up the screenshot app as it does in LM9. In fact the Print Screen key doesn't seem to do anything when it should load the current screen into memory so you can paste into The Gimp for example. I know the keyboard is mapped out correctly (It's a generic Logitech keyboard--nothing fancy) and alt+F2 and Print Screen work properly in LM9.

Is this normal for LMDE/Debian or am I off my rocker? Okay, I know I'm off my rocker but it be great if someone could confirm this anomaly for me. :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
secipolla

Re: alt+F2 and Print Screen questions

Post by secipolla »

Did you check the keyboard shortcuts settings?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

I could not find anything in the Keyboard Shortcuts app, under the Preferences Menu section which was of help. Since I am using Compiz for eye candy, I checked settings in CompizConfiguration Settings Manager. The issues were resolved by enabling Gnome Compatibility in the General section.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I use plain Sid. I just noticed that Alt+Print didn't work to take a screenshot of a window. So I set it to (Super key)Mod4+Print .
Alt+F2 and just Print work fine.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

dawgdoc wrote:I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

I could not find anything in the Keyboard Shortcuts app, under the Preferences Menu section which was of help. Since I am using Compiz for eye candy, I checked settings in CompizConfiguration Settings Manager. The issues were resolved by enabling Gnome Compatibility in the General section.
That was it for me. I completely spaced on that one as I was so used to it being enabled by default in LM9 once I installed the Nvidia 195 driver. Thanks!
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
supercompact

Post by supercompact »

dawgdoc wrote:I was having the same problem with <ALT>+F2 not bringing up the Run-dialog, so your question prompted me to check.

Same thing worked for me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”