Frikken Adapt Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Frikken Adapt Manager

Post by plowran »

So I Got My system running, all except my iPod, I had Everything loading, Beryl Working you name it.
Then last night I downloaded all the updates and POOF its gone.
It loads but then X crashes and I just get the prompt, If I type STARTX again it does the same thing, what can I do to get KDE running again without doing the noob thing and re-installing?
Thnx
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think I saw an update to X one way or the other in KDE
You have to reinstall your video driver. Boot in recovery mode and issue the command

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg 
If you end up in a tty terminal type exit - if you end up in the desktop environment reboot immediately as you still are root - important!
My Cassandra KDE just started as normal - but I still think there was some X update. Unfortunately every time X is updated or a larger change to the kernel is made you have to reinstall graphics (and possibly more)
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

never had to boot into recovery
so smack me if you wish but what is the keystroke to do that?
Signed
Dumb@$$
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Recovery mode is a boot option on your grub menu. If you don't see the grub menu because you only have on distribution installed there will be a prompt that says press "e" or "ESC" or "F1" (can't remember for sure). That will show the grub menu and you select recovery mode from there.

This will boot you to a root# prompt at a tty screen. Enter the code that Husse suggested in his post at the prompt, etc.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Actually, the problem isn't with X, it's with the closed source ATI and nVidia drivers. If you install the ATI or nVidia proprietary driver then you'll need to reinstall it any time there is a kernel update. The last round of updates installed a new kernel so anyone running the ATI or nVidia drivers will have problems after the update.

If you enter the "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" command you will probably lose any 3D accelleration and special configs for Beryl, etc.

Exit out of the xserver error notice and hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in to the shell. Once in the shell enter the following commands:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

sudo envy -t
and install the appropriate driver. After envy has finished reboot the computer, and if you still have problems restore your xorg.conf file with:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Oh, and welcome to the world of closed-source drivers.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

Lolo Uila is right if you use the closed source drivers.
As you are thrown into the shell (which I did not notice at first) you just boot as usual and when you are at the shell (the prompt) you can follow his advice. You don't have to use ctrl+alt+F1 as you are there already :)
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

Hey Husse
Yea THat Was a Stupid question, I knew how to get into recovery, is my face red.
its been a long week. Thanks though your sudo command did infact work, but now im having networking problems, but thats for another thread, consider this thread closed

Return to “Beginner Questions”