How to obtain the Fluxbox Mint look?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucho_elmillo
Level 2
Level 2

How to obtain the Fluxbox Mint look?

Post by lucho_elmillo »

People, i have installed the main edition of linux mint (the gnome one) and i want to install a desktop enviroment more light like lxde or fluxbox but the only way that i know is installing from repositories and i will obtain the regular theme and the default applications for each Desktop.
Have you any guide to convert a regular fluxbox or lxde like the Mint versions?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
interaudi

Re: How to obtain the Fluxbox Mint look?

Post by interaudi »

Hy Lucho, it would be better, to install mint fluxbox, than having gnome-fluxbox, this is possibly but creates confilict between thunar and nautilus. It better to usu Fluxbox Mint pure. I think....
FrozenNorth

Post by FrozenNorth »

Kinda have to agree with InterAudi here, you could install fluxbox from the repo's, but if you do not get all the right packages, the first time you start fluxbox you will have a pretty blank screen. Along with that, your menus will be empty as well, from there you will have to manually add programs to your menu files in /.fluxbox. Been there done that, while it's a great way to learn, it is time consuming.

Now assuming you installed fluxbox correctly, even with that window manager running, you will still have all the processes running for gnome and what not under the hood. So if you are looking for a speed increase as well, you will have to go through your processes, turning those off that you no longer need for running flux. Again, a pia, takes a bunch of time and in all actuality is a huge waste of time. Long and the short of if, you want to use flux with mint? MintFlux is the way to go.

~nathan
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

shane wrote:You can install Fluxbox by searching for it the in the software manager.

I should warn you that Fluxbox is a very minimal window manager. It only manages your windows and nothing else. You will have to configure the rest yourself. On the brighter side, it is rather easy to set things up if you read a bit. It is all a matter of editing simple text files.

You will find all the info you need on the wiki http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title ... ish_howtos
This may give you some ideas . . :)

richy
lucho_elmillo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lucho_elmillo »

Thanks guys!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

The mint-fluxbox-default-settings package should pull in just about everything you need and should avoid most conflicts. However there will still be a number of things that don't work quite as expected. This is one of the reasons I've avoided building a metapackage for the full desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”