(Solved) Hp PSC1410 scanner not recognised

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SteveHoffmanUK

(Solved) Hp PSC1410 scanner not recognised

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

My LMDE install has gone very well, and I am impressed at its speed and stability, like so many others here.

An outstanding problem, however, is my HP PSC1410 all-in-one device. The printer functions well with CUPS, but I have just discovered that the scanner is not recognised by Simple Scan, Xsane or Gimp. I followed the advice given in another thread at:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56115, where two additional hplip programs were recommended for installation, but they didn't help. If fact they caused XSane and Simple Scan to turn on my webcam and produce a colour-negative image of my staring at my screen. When I unplugged the webcam, I got a "No scanners found" type message.

I haven't found anything on the HP website that seems to help. Does anyone have a solution to this or suggestions on how to proceed?

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bari

Re: Hp PSC1410 scanner not recognised

Post by Bari »

HI again I'm still trying to work out why your printer won't scan as it is essentially the same as the 1210. However to be going on with here are my config files, These are all in etc/sane.d/dll.d

hplip
# dll.conf snippet for hplip
#

hpaio

libsane extras
# dll.conf snippet for libsane-extras
#

#geniusvp2
ls5000

and in the main etc/sane.d

HP.Conf
scsi HP
# Uncomment the following if you have "Error during device I/O" on SCSI
# option dumb-read
#
# The usual place for a SCSI-scanner on Linux
/dev/scanner
#
# USB-scanners supported by the hp-backend
# HP ScanJet 4100C
usb 0x03f0 0x0101
# HP ScanJet 5200C
usb 0x03f0 0x0401
# HP ScanJet 62X0C
usb 0x03f0 0x0201
# HP ScanJet 63X0C
usb 0x03f0 0x0601
#
# Uncomment the following if your scanner is connected by USB,
# but you are not using libusb
# /dev/usb/scanner0
# option connect-device

I don't know if this will help but it will give you something to compare. Also a further snippet of info when I installed the two further packages I had the printer turned on at the time and it worked straight away. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the printer was installed after the hp packages had been installed, although as I said I had it turned on which worked.
Bari

Post by Bari »

further update, tried it today and the scanner didn't work. It will only work if the printer is switched on before booting so I'm assuming that the boot sequence has to load a kernel module for it to work. Also if I use the scanner it sets the printer to disabled and to use the printer you have to enable it again. A bit weird.
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Bari wrote:
It will only work if the printer is switched on before booting
That's it! I turned the HP PSC1410 on, rebooted, launched Xsane and it found the scanner and scanned successfully.

So, to summarise, the solution is:

1. Install libsane-hpaio and hplip-gui;
2. Turn the device on;
3. Reboot

The scanner should now be recognised and operate, although it will disable the printer function, which will need to be re-enabled to work.

I guess I will label this thread "Solved", and I certainly want to thank Bari for getting the scanner working, but this is more of a get-around than a solution because you really shouldn't have to go around in these circles to get the all-in-ones to work, and you don't have to do this with the Mint9 main version.
meyh

Re: (Solved) Hp PSC1410 scanner not recognised

Post by meyh »

The model number HP PSC 1410.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... duct=44111...

Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.
HP PSC 1410 Driver

Good Luck.

Return to “LMDE Archive”