How about giving a Mint Live DVD along with Magazines

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kishorekannan

How about giving a Mint Live DVD along with Magazines

Post by kishorekannan »

Recently I have came across a Primary download mirror for Linux Mint by in India "Honesty Net Solutions" this is will help to spread the word and to increase the users ratio in India, to proceed further

The following Technological Magazines are popular among the most colleges, schools, and IT based companies
Chip, Digit, Linux for you, PCQuest, PCWorld. If you can take some initiatives to give a Live Mint DVD. The Linux Mint users share can be further extended
randomizer

Re: How about giving a Mint Live DVD along with Magazines

Post by randomizer »

The trick is getting those publications to add the CD. They are usually too busy with Ubuntu.
vincent

Post by vincent »

There's also the concern that because Linux Mint has proprietary components installed by default (e.g. Flash, Sun Java, an assortment of codecs, including proprietary ones), the magazines could be sued or whatnot for distributing copies of Linux Mint (for facilitating the illegal distribution of certain proprietary components). Granted, there is a separate USA/Japan distribution edition for Mint 9 Gnome that does NOT include said proprietary components, but that sort of diminishes Mint's excellent out-of-the-box nature.
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

vincent wrote:There's also the concern that because Linux Mint has proprietary components installed by default (e.g. Flash, Sun Java, an assortment of codecs, including proprietary ones), the magazines could be sued or whatnot for distributing copies of Linux Mint (for facilitating the illegal distribution of certain proprietary components). Granted, there is a separate USA/Japan distribution edition for Mint 9 Gnome that does NOT include said proprietary components, but that sort of diminishes Mint's excellent out-of-the-box nature.
I believe there is a UK magazine about linux that gave out free Mint CD's and "Powered by Linux Mint" stickers with their July 2010 magazine release. I forgot the name of the publication, but I know that it is in thread here somewhere.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I have feeling that not just Linux magazines, but many magazines for other topics of interest are not swimming in cash-flow, their subscriber lists are shorter than is needed

I expect that many people don't buy them, but simply browse through them at the various bookstores, and steal CDs from magazines and even hardcover books that sometimes include such items
--possibly they think they are getting one-up on the store or they are just crooks period.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Cheesethief wrote:I believe there is a UK magazine about linux that gave out free Mint CD's and "Powered by Linux Mint" stickers with their July 2010 magazine release. I forgot the name of the publication, but I know that it is in thread here somewhere.
Yes, I have read that magazine, I think it was Linux Format
--of course after they decided to switch to American English, I immediately abandoned it
http://linuxformat.co.uk/
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Why would they switch from English to Yankish when it's a UK magazine?
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

randomizer wrote:Why would they switch from English to Yankish when it's a UK magazine?
Also, why would that even matter much at all when one is looking for content and not grammar?
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ...

that's just the way I found ' LINUX Mint 7 Gloria ' ! ...
as a Live-CD in a french Magazin ! ... is a good way to promote ' LINUX Mint ' ! ...

I also found some USB-Sticks ...
with ' LINUX Mint 1o Julia ' ... in an german ' Online-Shop ' ! ... just for the price of about 9.99 € ! ...

my expierience with ' LINUX Distros ' is ... you find them by surprise ! ... when your not looking for ! ...

there are plenty of magazins ... about LINUX ... or ' Informatique ' ...
where I found a lot of CD/DvD with all kind of programs on it ! ... why not ' LINUX Mint ' ? ...

another way would be ... to find some producers of hardeware ... for ' LINUX Mint Preinstallation ' ! ... like ' Microsoft Corporation ' is doing it ! ...
(but they don't know nothing about LINUX Mint !) ...

anyway ! ... I'm glad I found ' LINUX Mint ' ... and do anything to promote LINUX at all ... all over this planet ! ... no matter which distro ! ...

when I did buy this .. 3G+-USB-Stick ... from ' digicel ' ... for Internet-Connection with GSM HSPA Modem ...
they were looking at me ... like somebody from another planet ... when I asked ... if this stick is working also with LINUX ? ...
LINUX ? ? ... what the hell is this ? ...

it realy needs to promote LINUX ! ... and specialy ' LINUX Mint ' ...
of course I like it ... much more better than ' Windows ' ! ...

casey972oo

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”