[solved] Dell missing, LXDE printer drivers "Make" list

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ditto

[solved] Dell missing, LXDE printer drivers "Make" list

Post by ditto »

I have been using LM9 flawlessly for months.
I decided to try LXDE. Installed perfectly, except when searching for printer driver.
It sees my Dell 3000cn printer, but when the gui opens to choose the driver, the word "Dell" does not appear. There is "Dai", "DEC" then "Epson".

Any hints appreciated...
:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Dell missing from the printer drivers "Make" list

Post by dawgdoc »

I found several older sites which referenced HP drivers used successfully. THIS one used the Manufacturer-->HP, Model-->Color LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS, Driver-->Standard again, this was for setting up the Dell 3000cn. A recent post in that topic mentioned following the instructions to successfully install the printer using Lucid Lynx, on which Mint 9 is based. He was using the printer as a networked device, but you should be able to use it connected directly with the same driver.

You will need the hplips and possibly the hpijs packages installed
ditto

Re: Dell missing from the printer drivers "Make" list

Post by ditto »

Many thanks, the workaround link you provided fixed my issue. :D

To recap the steps I took:

1. Administration > Printers
2. Click Add printer
3. Click on the Network on the left. When it expands select the 3100cn if available, both fields are populated. Click forward and go to 5.
4. If 3100cn doesn't show, choose "APP/Sockect HP JetDirect". Enter the IP on top field, 9100 on the bottom field, click forward.
5. When the Choose Driver window shows, select "HP", click forward, then "Color LaserJet".
6. Now on the right window select "HP Color LaserJet PCL 6 CUPS", Click forward
7. Print the test page
8. Life's good :0)

I have submitted a bug, since I assume that since the Dell driver exists in LM9, It should also be there for LXDE.

Long Live Linus...

PD: I tried loading the PPD file that I found http://www.cups.org/ppd.php?L365+I80+T+Q, but no joy.

Return to “Software & Applications”