New Mint user, switched from Ubuntu

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snakeman21

New Mint user, switched from Ubuntu

Post by snakeman21 »

I've been an Ubuntu user since Hardy Heron, and have loved every minute of it. Ubuntu has never ceased to impress me on every release, getting better and better each time. Since dumping Windows and beginning my experience with Ubuntu, I have tried several Linux OS's, and have always found myself back with Ubuntu. Kubuntu, Mandriva, openSUSE, Archlinux, Debian, Fedora, Puppy, DSL... The list goes on. As impressive as most of these have been, they have never quite satisfied me like Ubuntu has.

However, I was talking to my grandfather the other day about Linux. Believe it or not, my grandfather is a computer nerd, but his knowledge lies in the world of Windows. He was intrigued, so I offered to bring over my laptop to show him a Linux OS. So later that day, I got out my spare hard drive and swapped it into my laptop. I installed Mandriva on it, then installed Ubuntu, then Linux Mint. So now I was triple-booting, and had three good examples of Linux systems to show my grandfather.

I started updating all the systems, and while waiting for things to download and install on Mint, I began to tinker with the system. I was pleasantly surprised, so I explored further. Soon, I was considering switching. I loved it. It was just enough like Ubuntu that I felt completely at home, but it had a lot of different things that I really liked. I love the menu, I love the control center, I love the look, I love the feel. I love that the system is still mostly Ubuntu, so most of my favorite software and themes install on it without a problem. The only thing I didn't really like was the software manager, but I can replace that with a different one.

And so, it is with a little sadness that I say goodbye to Ubuntu, in favor of Linux Mint. I'd like to give a huge thanks to the developers of Linux Mint; you have impressed even a die-hard Ubuntu fan into switching systems. Perhaps I'll find myself with Ubuntu again in the future, but for now, Mint will be my primary system. For now, I am going to install it alongside Ubuntu, in case I come across something big that I don't like about it, but if nothing comes up in a few weeks, I'll be booting from a flash drive again to resize the Mint partition and delete Ubuntu *sniffle*

And a super huge thanks to the Ubuntu team, as well. If not for Ubuntu, I'd probably still be using Windows and spending all my time fixing my computer, rather than enjoying it. Keep up the good work! I look forward to playing around with 10.10 when the final build is released. And who knows? Perhaps it'll “wow” me enough to switch back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jesica

Re: New Mint user, switched from Ubuntu

Post by jesica »

welcome

and i hope you here to stay

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to the Mint community, snakeman.

So, which distro did your grandfather settle on?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome snakeman21. Yes, don't keep us in suspense...we other grandfathers want to know! :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello snakeman21,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

nice you finally settled with mint, im a distro hopper myself and this month i was planning to stick with ubuntu but alas all the things i enjoy in mint i always look for ubuntu then finally here i am again using linux mint 9 and happy that i did
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
snakeman21

Post by snakeman21 »

Well, actually, I haven't gone over yet. We had to cancel because he had to go to Middlebury because one of his friends is in the hospital. I might go over later today, and if I do, I'll update.

Edit: Hehe, went over yesterday, but my grandfather had a really bad cold, so I let him be. Honestly, I don't think he'll switch, but I am interested to see what he thinks. He thought I was pirating when I told him I download the new Ubuntu every six months, so he really has a lot to learn!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”