System Monitor in Mint 9 Fluxbox>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spalding

System Monitor in Mint 9 Fluxbox>

Post by Spalding »

Odd that there is none installed. Should I just search Software for System Monitor, or is there something better? I found the Gnome System Monitor there but I agree with the review that says it is too heavyweight. Maybe I should just stick with the command line based stuff? The top command seems to work pretty well. But it appears that Mint Linux fills up memory so monitoring it doesn't seem too useful. Also, is there a good lightweight web browser? Firefox is a real hog sometimes.

Actually I need something to kill that Welcome to Mint splash screen that often turns to a white box.

In the meantime, good old ps -eaf |grep mint and then killing the mintwelcome process did the trick.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: System Monitor in Mint 9 Fluxbox>

Post by shane »

Spalding wrote:Odd that there is none installed. Should I just search Software for System Monitor, or is there something better?

Actually I need something to kill that Welcome to Mint splash screen that often turns to a white box.

In the meantime, good old ps -eaf |grep mint and then killing the mintwelcome process did the trick.
Why don't you stop the the Welcome screen from showing in the first place... either select (or delselect... don't remember) the show at startup option. Or you can comment it out in ~/.fluxbox/startup... That will disable it completely.

As for a system monitor, my favorite no matter if I'm running Fluxbox or KDE is htop. It is a command line app but has all the functionality you could need. F3 to search for processes and F9 for kill options... Here is a screenshot
Spalding

Post by Spalding »

Thanks, shane. it is pretty darn nice!
Oh, and I probably will get rid of that Mint Welcome screen in a few weeks.

Now I am interested in a lightweight web browser - I'll look around for those.

I tried the tuxracer game but apparently my 3D acceleration is not working since it ran in stop action. This computer was fine for games with 3D when it ran XP so I suspect I need a driver or something, but I sure hate to mess with graphics since the system works great as is for normal stuff.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

You're welcome.

For a lightweight browser try Midori (webkit based) or Kazehakase (gecko based). Also, if you think your computer can handle it you could try a fast but full-featured browser like Chromium or maybe even Opera. If it can run WinXP I guess it can run these browsers. I find them faster than Firefox.

Yes. the graphics issue sounds like a driver one. Search on Google with the graphics card you have and 'Ubuntu Lucid' or even 'Mint 9'. You should get some useful leads. You can even ask here on the forums.

Return to “Software & Applications”