Can't see/use my data hd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint Aramis
The message indicates to me that the drive is mounted in the wrong place so you (uid 1000) are denied to open it.
As it is a fat32 disk it should be mounted by mintDisk
Check in mintDisk that it is set to mount vfat.
Then check your /etc/fstab file and if that disk is mentioned there in any way remove the line. You can't comment it, as mintDisk reads the comments too
You have to be root for this (use sudo)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

That is not possible. /etc is a folder and fstab is a file. Are you sure that there is nothing? :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm logged as admin, so what is the problem?
You are advised not to log in as root but instead use sudo.
Did you use

Code: Select all

gksu kate /etc/fstab
If so the only reason for being denied is that you actually are out of space or that something has gone wrong with your sudoers file
It's always good to mention if you do not have the standard gnome edition. The KDE version does not have mintDisk I think, so there is no need to edit fstab :)
There is the configure ntfs tool in the menu (at least in the Cassandra KDE) so you use that instead
Husse

Post by Husse »

Step by step :)
I actually don't know if there is a tool for FAT-disks in Mint KDE
but
there is always the old-fashioned way in fstab
add three lines like

/dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5     vfat    defaults 0       1
To do that use

gksu kate /etc/fstab
but first copy the present fstab in case something goes wrong.
In a terminal

sudo cp /etc/fstab  /etc/fstab.bak
A bit clumsy but you easily run into similar problems in Windows and any OS
Husse

Post by Husse »

Remember the "subtitle" for the newbie forum
You missed a bit. I wrote:
add three lines like
Code:
/dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5 vfat defaults 0 1

To do that use
Code:
gksu kate /etc/fstab
If you read that carefully you realize that you begin with gksu kate .... :)
This will open fstab for editing
You also realize why I recommended a backup first :)
And of course - you must replace hdb5 with whatever you have. To find that out open qtparted and look for the designations for fat disks...
sorry for the not-so-user-friendly method, but on the other hand this is something you do once....
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - I'll have to check this one too, makes it two instances of this error if you're right fdv :)
And I'm not implying you are not....

Return to “Beginner Questions”