Browser recommendation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anamnesis

Browser recommendation

Post by anamnesis »

I know Midori from it's very early state on, and I always liked it. Very light and fast. The version 0.2.4 (available in the repos) is a great step forward:
1. nice fonts out of the box :lol:
2. flash and java out of the box
3. html5 support

If you're tired of the lame firefox/iceweasel-wargame in Debian, if you don't like chrome(ium) very much, maybe Midori is your baby. It's my main browser now.
hth
anamnesis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliste

Re: Browser recommendation

Post by cliste »

I must say I like what I see having downloaded it, wikipedia however doesn't show/render at all (one of the first sites I was on, after searching for the Midori site in Midori!)

A work in progress, and I like what has been done so far! :) But I'll be sticking with the fox for now..
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

cliste wrote:I must say I like what I see having downloaded it, wikipedia however doesn't show/render at all (one of the first sites I was on, after searching for the Midori site in Midori!)

A work in progress, and I like what has been done so far! :) But I'll be sticking with the fox for now..
Hu? No wikipedia prob here. No online banking prob. No online chess prob. Midori rocks.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

Midori 0.2.6 has been my main browser since it was released.
It's very stable and never crashed.
It's working great in LMDE.
I recommend it to anyone who wants a clean and light browser.
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Hmmm, interesting. Having read the recommendation, I installed Midori in my LMDE, and it doesn't run at all! Installation seemed OK, I find it in the LM applications menu, but when I click on it, it says "Starting Midori" and the round whizzy thing (!) goes round and round for maybe 15-20 seconds, then it just dies. Even tried rebooting a la Windows, but no luck.

Why, I wonder?
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I just couldn't live without the Speed Dial add-on in Firefox
screen dump http://lin.me.uk/pics/speed-dial.png

It might not be the fastest but it's so functional.
No more bookmarks, it does a much better job with it's drag n drop of dials and makes my browsing a pleasure
ukbrian
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Firefox is and always has been my preferred browser.

I do have midori installed. Never really use it much.

midori:
Installed: 0.2.7-1.1
Candidate: 0.2.7-1.1
Version table:
*** 0.2.7-1.1 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
meandean

Post by meandean »

I use chromium but midori is cool too. I do not find any full feature browser to be any faster/lighter than another full feature browser.

...if you want fast and light then Dillo2
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Or links2 (flashblock included!)
flygon250

Post by flygon250 »

I would like to hear some opinions on Midori vs Epiphany, seeing as they are the two main webkit-based GTK browsers in the Debian repos (I know you can add Chrome, but it's not in the standard repos). I have always leaned towards Epiphany myself, but it doesn't seem to be all that light (it uses about the same number of resources as Firefox/Opera)

If you are on KDE, then Arora is pretty much a qt-based equivalent of Midori.

Personally, I use Opera as my main browser. Chrome(ium) and the rest of the Webkit crew may be faster, Firefox may be more flexible, but Opera is the best all-rounder in my opinion, plus it has a rock-solid security record.

EDIT: Actually, I might give Midori a try. It seems to have all of the Opera features that I use the mos; an.ad blocker, speed dial and a cookie manager (although it doesn't have the consensual cookie blocker, which is what I like the most about Opera) but with the Webkit speed advantage and actually being open-source.

EDIT 2: I discovered that you can set Midori to accept session cookies only, which is awesome, seeing as session cookies are the only cookies which are actually useful for the user. The rest are tracking cookies which collect data for companies (mostly for advertising purposes) without asking. which deserved to be blocked.
cliste

Post by cliste »

anamnesis wrote:Hu? No wikipedia prob here.
I take the wiki problems back, it's back to showing fine, I'm not quite sure what happened there but it's working fine now! :)

Galeon and Midori are my secondary browsers now, I'd like to be able to set up a keyword search like in firefox, if anyone knows how/if possible!
kei84

Post by kei84 »

SteveHoffmanUK wrote:Hmmm, interesting. Having read the recommendation, I installed Midori in my LMDE, and it doesn't run at all! Installation seemed OK, I find it in the LM applications menu, but when I click on it, it says "Starting Midori" and the round whizzy thing (!) goes round and round for maybe 15-20 seconds, then it just dies. Even tried rebooting a la Windows, but no luck.

Why, I wonder?
Which version of Midori are using? Did you compile, use Synaptic or deb package?

I use Midori 0.2.6 + couple of scripts like Flaskblock and works great.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

cliste wrote:Galeon and Midori are my secondary browsers now, I'd like to be able to set up a keyword search like in firefox, if anyone knows how/if possible!
Have a look at the (tiny) video I made: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gle6g9

BTW, Midori renders this forum much better than Firefox. It seems to render fonts smoother all around. In this forum they're larger but in gmail they're tinier.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Folks needs are different, I want one that it's easy to make what used to be a bookmark that you can find easily again later others want blistering speed.
No other Speed Dial comes close to what this developer did with the Firefox Speed Dial add-on and that's what I need/want.
10 second between frames anim at http://lin.me.uk/pics/anim-sd.gif
He's a very, very skilled developer it's got drag n drop etc.
ukbrian
JohnnyC35

Post by JohnnyC35 »

If you collect Air Miles go with Firefox 3.0-3.9 (4 doesn't like the toolbar) If Air Miles supported another browser, or if another browser supported Firefox toolbars I would try it out. well.. and there there's IE that the toolbar works with but who uses IE in Linux?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

BTW you can get midori 2.8 from the frickelplatz repo

http://frickelplatz.de/debian/dists/sid ... 3_i386.deb

Its new and shiny. :)

$ apt-cache policy midori
midori:
Installed: 0.2.8-0~git20101003
Candidate: 0.2.8-0~git20101003
Version table:
*** 0.2.8-0~git20101003 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Or from Hadret's Debian PPA - http://hadret.rootnode.net/
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Thank you very much for that, craigevil.
I had installed the Lucid version from the PPA :oops:
The locally built ones, for some unknown reason to me just open a blank page instead of the speed dial (I suspect some config. file is the culprit because speed dial works with installed packages but if I open the locally built it opens a blank page instead and then next time speed dial doesn't work even in the installed package and I have to delete my local configuration - haven't tracked the culprit file, though).

Will add that frickelplatz.de repo right now.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

secipolla wrote:Thank you very much for that, craigevil.
I had installed the Lucid version from the PPA :oops:
The locally built ones, for some unknown reason to me just open a blank page instead of the speed dial (I suspect some config. file is the culprit because speed dial works with installed packages but if I open the locally built it opens a blank page instead and then next time speed dial doesn't work even in the installed package and I have to delete my local configuration - haven't tracked the culprit file, though).

Will add that frickelplatz.de repo right now.
Hadret's has a newer version but it also wanted to install a newer version of libcairo. So I stayed with the frickelplatz version.

If you are looking for a new version of something or a package not in the normal Debian/Mint repos take a look at my Giant sources.list. I update it any time I come across a new repo.

http://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/
cliste

Post by cliste »

secipolla wrote:
cliste wrote:Galeon and Midori are my secondary browsers now, I'd like to be able to set up a keyword search like in firefox, if anyone knows how/if possible!
Have a look at the (tiny) video I made: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gle6g9

BTW, Midori renders this forum much better than Firefox. It seems to render fonts smoother all around. In this forum they're larger but in gmail they're tinier.
You are a hero!

Not quite as easy to set it up, but that's boosted midori in my estimation! :D
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Thank you for the compliment, cliste. Midori has many features, version 0.2.8 is already quite ahead from 0.2.4 (but it will come down to Debian testing in the due time).

Return to “LMDE Archive”