Pixma MP560 multifunction.... nothings worked

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nodgo

Pixma MP560 multifunction.... nothings worked

Post by nodgo »

Hey guys..
I'm new to linux and am taking classes, but i'm having problems with the Canon Pixma MP560 multifunctional (wireless). I've googled this and came up with many solutions that didn't work (including the post about cups here) but its still not showing up. I was wondering if anyone had any advice/fixes/work arounds.

inxi -F system
System: Host awesomemcawesome-laptop Kernel 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 9 Isadora
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8600 (SMP) cache 3072 KB flags (sse3 nx lm vmx) bmips 9574.84
Clock Speeds: (1) 1600.00 MHz (2) 2401.00 MHz
Graphics: Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1440x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 GLX Version 3.2.9756 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card-1 ATI RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series] driver HDA Intel
Card-2 Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controllerdriver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver tg3 v: 3.102
Card-2 Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 driver iwlagn v: 1.3.27k
Disks: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (0.7% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9500420ASG 500.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 212G used: 3.4G (2%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 9.77GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: 36.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 158 Uptime 7 min Memory 667.5/8000.6MB Client Shell inxi 1.3.2

i'm not sure what other info you need... sorry (first post)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MP560 : download Canon drivers?

Post by pdc_2 »

I suspect you need to install drivers for this device?

Canon provides drivers for this printer/scanner

Both the Canon Asia and Canon Europe sites offer drivers;

the Europe site gives you a .deb driver for the MP560; Mint uses debian packages (.deb files)

go here

http://software.canon-europe.com/softwa ... asp?model=

download the debian driver listed into a directory (mine is called Downloads)

from your desktop, open the icon that says "xx home" or whatever your name is; then open the Downloads directory and you should see the CanonMP560.tar file you downloaded

RIGHT-CLICK on it; select "Open with Archive Manager";

then just left click on the top file, that ends in tar.gz; you then get a .deb package

right-click: open; you get TWO packages: a common and an MP560 one;

Right-click on the common one: select Open with ..... and select Gdebi package installer; it will ask for your sudo password; when installed, do the same with the specific MP560 one;

that should have installed your printer driver; I would then click on Printing from the Menu at bottom left and configure printer;

is this of any help?

......... hoping you have 32bit Mint installed, as a 64bit system may need a little further tweaking ..........

the scanner can come later ..........
nodgo

Re: Pixma MP560 multifunction.... nothings worked

Post by nodgo »

getting 'Wrong Architecture Error: i386'

i believe I am running a 64 bit :\

ok... i was trying to run the .deb duh!! but the install.sh doesn't do anything either

I did the tutorial at http://moritz89.wordpress.com/2010/05/2 ... n-64-bits/ using the zip file there.... it seemed to install but i still can't find my printer
nodgo

Post by nodgo »

aw... i've reinstalled almost every driver packet on my computer and redid the directions on the above mentioned website... now i can see it in my "new printer" "SMB browser" but when i select it, it doesn't allow me to click ok.... gonna keep searching...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Pixma MP560 multifunction http://localhost:631/

Post by pdc_2 »

can I suggest this

copy and paste this into a spare web page

http://localhost:631/

it opens CUPS: printing system; only as a local page; so no security issues

click on the Adding Printers and Classes in the middle column; etc

if it wants a password, it seems that root as the user and your own password as password should work ......... I find folks report success sometimes in directly editing CUPS

When you say
SMB browser
I assume that to refer to Samba;

In suggesting the above, I would have assumed you have a desktop computer; with printer initially connected via a USB cable; (I see you can use USB as well as wireless);

you may wish to describe your system if it is more complex;
nodgo

Post by nodgo »

thanks for the help... due to time constraints and the necessity of my printer right now, i've been forced to....... reinstall windows :shock: i will try and work on this in the mean time... thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.

ps i am using a laptop and trying to connect wirelessly
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

we hope to spot future posts from you

when you said

SMB browser: do we still assume that to refer to Samba; I wasn't sure where samba came from if using a laptop
StratosJL

Post by StratosJL »

Well, setting up this printer in Mint Julia (10rc) was a real pain, but it finally worked. I have posted in my blog the following:

http://laspas.gr/2010/11/10/getting-can ... ntu-10-10/

When I effortlessly set up Pixma MP560 on my significant other’s windows-based laptop, wirelessly, I thought all would be easy-peachy. But it wasn’t.

First thing, Canon does not have 64bit drivers for Linux. However, apparently one can install 32bit drivers on a 64 bit system; I didn’t know that. So, basically, the solution was described in this thread at the ubuntu forums.

Problem was, there was no way I could get this to work: The .deb packages were installed alright. I could see the printer driver ppd file. I could ping the printer’s address. I could log on to the printer’s web interface. In “Control Panel” –> “Printing” (or “Administration” –> “Printing”), I could select “add printer”, then point to the printer as a network printer, by specifying its IP (had made it static), and the printer would be found (“passthrough”). All would seem to be ok, but it would still not print the test page and, no matter what, I could never get it to work after installation.

Trying to approach this from another angle, I even successfully modified the Canon installer (so that it would include the “force architecture” option). The installer would run fine on the terminal with

sudo ./install.sh

then the packages would be re-installed, but… the printer would not be found on the wireless network.

Since I was in the process of re-installing distribution anyway (from LMDE to Julia), I tried the Canon installer with Mint Debian (LMDE) 32bit and Mint Julia (10RC) 32bit (based on Ubuntu 10.10), and it worked fine. But with Mint 10RC 64bit… nothing. The installer would not find the printer over the wireless. I tried all voodoo known to geeks. I even allowed inbound connections from the printer’s IP in the firewall and installed the generic 32bit compatibility libraries, the works! The only thing I did not try, was to sacrifice a goat! ;)

I then bumped into Moritz89′s Blog, who has looked into this matter very thoroughly. Mind you, the solution proposed there still did not work for me! But I asked him a couple questions and then, out of the blue… epiphany!

The drivers were already installed, OK? So, what if I tried to install it via the CUPS server? I remembered reading about it somewhere in all the posts I searched through (Mint support forums)… Well, you guessed it…

I typed

http://localhost:631

on the browser and logged on as “root” with “my account’s password”. I pressed “Administration” –> “Find new printers”, and voila! Printer found! I then completed the process by selecting printer make, model and ppd (already installed from previous attempts). I have a working printer now. And it prints great!
Poopdeck

Post by Poopdeck »

Hi All,

I'm very much a Linux noob and have been referencing various posts and sites to try and set up my MP560 on Linux Mint 11. I'm really frustrated at this point.

I've followed these guides so far:
http://laspas.gr/2010/11/10/getting-can ... ntu-10-10/
http://moritz89.wordpress.com/2010/05/2 ... n-64-bits/

The second guide is actually the latest post in this thread.

Anyway, I had gotten so far as to edit the control files Moritz's .deb packages so that the dependency code is removed. That has gone fine. Where I am absolutely stuck is when the install script checks for possible printers and always finds none (see below).

------------
#=========================================================#
# Select Printer
#=========================================================#
Select the printer.
If the printer you want to use is not listed, select Update [0] to search again.
To cancel the process, enter [Q].
-----------------------------------------------------------
0) Update
Could not detect the target printer.
(Currently selected:[0](Update) )
Enter the value. [0]
------------

I did run Moritz's "cnijfilter-mp560series.postinst" script as he indicated on his page and ran it at the correct time but I am unable to get to the point where the install script gives me a printer for selection.

I've also screwed around with CUPS quite a bit but have had no luck there. I simply can't "find" my MP560.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Poopdeck
Andy_Weston

Re: Canon MP560 : download Canon drivers?

Post by Andy_Weston »

G'day.. thanks for this. I think it may of worked.. After I downloaded the the drivers adn followed your guide
and opened the "common" I had problems with something called dependencies.. Mint told me to do the following
sudo apt-get install -f

and so far everything is good. still need to test it out, but the kids are asleep...

Ive been bashing my head against the wall over this... and yes I'am a noob..

thanks for the Tutorial..

pdc_2 wrote:I suspect you need to install drivers for this device?

Canon provides drivers for this printer/scanner

Both the Canon Asia and Canon Europe sites offer drivers;

the Europe site gives you a .deb driver for the MP560; Mint uses debian packages (.deb files)

go here

http://software.canon-europe.com/softwa ... asp?model=

download the debian driver listed into a directory (mine is called Downloads)

from your desktop, open the icon that says "xx home" or whatever your name is; then open the Downloads directory and you should see the CanonMP560.tar file you downloaded

RIGHT-CLICK on it; select "Open with Archive Manager";

then just left click on the top file, that ends in tar.gz; you then get a .deb package

right-click: open; you get TWO packages: a common and an MP560 one;

Right-click on the common one: select Open with ..... and select Gdebi package installer; it will ask for your sudo password; when installed, do the same with the specific MP560 one;

that should have installed your printer driver; I would then click on Printing from the Menu at bottom left and configure printer;

is this of any help?

......... hoping you have 32bit Mint installed, as a 64bit system may need a little further tweaking ..........

the scanner can come later ..........
Andy_Weston

Post by Andy_Weston »

Hi Everyone.... I've done all the same things.. but I have manged to get things working and its really really sad
I'm using a USB cable to the computer and using firefox. (no offence to firefox) All i could get from chrome was a test page wireless. and when I tried witht a USB connection nothin happened... its taken me a real long time to get his going... and alot of hours reading and installing, and re installing and typing sudo commands... and doingn the amazing tutorials that are in the community.. but what it came down to is a USB cable and fire fox... for me anyway

yes I'am a noob. but I'm a mechanical engineer and a trouble shooter, so if you have anything else... I would prefer wireless.

thankss guys this system is amazing but the printing sucks..

write me
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Pixma MP560 multifunction.... nothing worked

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Andy;

...........I think you are telling us that you followed the above instructions; and believe you have downloaded and installed the MP560 printer driver as a debian package; and installed 1) the common and then 2) the MP560 series driver;

........and you can't print anything?

If you go to Menu; up and across to Administration and then to Printing

.... you should get something as in the thumbnail below...... it is a place one can edit things;

perhaps you give us a screenshot of your printer screen; one goes to Accessories and then selects Take Screenshot and then "select area to grab"

if you copy and paste this command into a terminal
sudo dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter
it will tell us what printer drivers are installed.......
BanjoBillTucker

Post by BanjoBillTucker »

I had a very similar issue on my MX870. I fixed it by changing my broadcast setting on the printer. Put the IP of the printer into your browser > Other Settings > LPR Service Notification - ON. Hit OK at the top to save. Now go to the Printers GUI and add new printer. Your printer should show up automatically under Network Printer and auto configure, if it doesn't hit Find with a blank host address.
StratosJL

Post by StratosJL »

Actually, the problem has been fixed since at least February 2012, thanks to a canon printer drivers repository.
Read here:

[url]http://url.laspas.gr/4[/url]

Return to “Printers & Scanners”