The Document Foundation & LibreOffice -- OpenOffice.Org fork

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joylove

The Document Foundation & LibreOffice -- OpenOffice.Org fork

Post by Joylove »

OpenOffice.Org office suite gets a fork in the form of LibreOffice. Will test it later post reinstall

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Document_Foundation
On September 28, 2010 members of the Open Office Project formed a new group called The Document Foundation, and made available a rebranded fork of OpenOffice provisionally named "LibreOffice". The Foundation stated that it will coordinate and oversee the development of LibreOffice. Oracle was invited to become a member of the Document Foundation, and asked to donate the OpenOffice.org brand to the project.[4]

The organisation received support from the Open Office community including the companies Novell[5], RedHat, Canonical and Google.[6] The goal is to produce a vendor-independent office suite with ODF support and without any copyright assignment requirements.[7]

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... oracle.ars
A group of key contributors to the OpenOffice.org (OOo) project have formed a new organization called the Document Foundation to manage a community-driven fork of the popular open source office suite. Their goal is to liberate the project from Oracle's control and create a more inclusive and participatory ecosystem around the software.

OOo was originally based on StarOffice, a product that Sun obtained in its acquisition of StarDivision in 1999. Sun opened the source code and invited the open source software community to participate in the project, but sold a closed, commercial version alongside. The project received considerable attention and is among the most widely-known open source applications. Several other major companies are involved heavily in development, including Novell and IBM. It's worth noting that IBM's Lotus Symphony product is based on OOo code.

Despite the significant community enthusiasm for OOo, Sun's leadership and central role in the project have created challenges for other contributors. Critics complain that Sun's bureaucratic development process impeded progress, made it difficult to get patches merged, and discouraged some independent developers from taking a more active role. One of the most controversial issues was Sun's requirement that participants assign copyright to the company.

Some prominent contributors, like Novell's Michael Meeks, have long argued that the OOo ecosystem would be healthier and more attractive to corporate and community contributors if it was managed by an independent nonprofit foundation. Novell has maintained its own variant of the program called Go-OOo which includes a number of patches that Sun was unwilling to accept for various reasons. Several major Linux distributions ship Novell's version instead of Sun's because it offers superior desktop integration, a richer feature set, and better performance and stability.

There was obviously already some support for the idea of forking the OOo code base before Oracle acquired Sun, but the acquisition substantially increased the need for community-driven governance and helped to build swift consensus among independent stakeholders. There are a lot of unanswered questions about Oracle's plans for OOo and there are well-founded concerns about the extent of Oracle's commitment to openness.

The Document Foundation serves the long-standing need for a more inclusive culture around the project. The group is creating a fork of OOo called LibreOffice that will be distributed independently of OOo. The foundation's steering committee is diverse and includes some key members of the OOo project. Corporate supporters include Novell, Red Hat, Canonical, and Google. A beta release of the fork is available for testing, but is not yet ready for production use.

The LibreOffice source code is hosted in the FreeDesktop.org Git repository. The Document Foundation intends to adopt a dual-license model for new components, using both LGPLv3 and MPL. Unlike the OOo project, no copyright assignment is required in order to contribute to LibreOffice. It's not entirely clear yet how much the LibreOffice developers intend to diverge from the original upstream, but there is already some interest in cleaning up the code and removing deprecated bits.

An assortment of desired cleanup improvements are included in a list of easy tasks that are available for contributors who want to jump in. Users who want to support the project without participating directly can help out by donating or signing the petition of support. The petition will help send a message to the OpenOffice.org ecosystem that LibreOffice is the way forward.

Oracle has not yet issued an official response to the fork. It seems likely that Oracle will continue moving forward with its Cloud Office product, but it's difficult to predict what kind of relationship the company will choose to have with the LibreOffice community. The fork diminishes Oracle's declining open source credibility because it sends a strong signal that the community lacks confidence in Oracle's leadership.

For regular end users of the open source office suite, the fork could potentially be a very positive change. It will remedy long-standing issues that have hindered development and lead to a stronger product with a healthier development community.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Re: The Document Foundation & LibreOffice -- OpenOffice.Org

Post by dritzominous »

Well, perhaps if they make some headway Mint will choose them over Open Office. Who knows? It's promising.

Either way, it's nice to see some competition. (Competition = Inspiration to work harder)
Eon

Post by Eon »

ah, Oracle, Oracle...
They are the worst monster we can expect. I hope they realize how miserable they are.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

ah, Oracle, Oracle...
They are the worst monster we can expect. I hope they realize how miserable they are.
I dealt with people from Oracle when I worked for New Venture Gear. Let's just say I was happy to see them leave.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I think it is good that it will be moving away from the corporate environment. I personally don't have Open Office on my pc as I have no need for database or spreadsheets, nor do I need word processing compatibility with MS documents, so the only office app I have is Abiword and rarely use it. But I wish all good things for Libre.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Update:
A group of key OpenOffice.org (OOo) contributors and community members recently decided to fork the project and establish The Document Foundation (TDF) in order to drive forward community-driven development of the open source office suite. Oracle has responded to the move by asking several members of TDF to step down from their positions as representatives on the OOo community council.

During an OOo community council meeting last week, council chair Louis Saurez-Potts told the TDF members who also sit on the OOo community council that their participation in both organizations constituted a conflict of interest and that their involvement in the new LibreOffice fork should preclude them from holding leadership roles in the OOo community. Saurez-Potts is Oracle's OpenOffice.org community manager, a role that he also held at Sun prior to the acquisition. His position suggests that Oracle views LibreOffice as a hostile fork and will not join TDF as some had hoped.
"Your role in the Document Foundation and LibreOffice makes your role as a representative in the OOo CC untenable and impossible. t causes confusion, it is a plain conflict of interest, as TDF split from OOo,"

he told TDF members during a council meeting that took place on an IRC channel. "If the TDF members do not disassociate themselves from the [Document Foundation] then they must resign by Tuesday."

OOo council members who also hold leadership roles in TDF include Charles-H. Schulz, Christoph Noack, and Cor Nouws. It's unclear how they will proceed now that they have been handed this ultimatum by Oracle.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... mments-bar

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10 ... s-To-Leave
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Looks like once again Oracleis doing their best to alienate open source people. With Novell Canonical and Redhat already siding with Libreoffice they do have some backing. What will be interesting to see is which side of the fork IBM decides to go with. I swear it seems Oracle is as anal as Microsoft and Apple about control over anything they are involved in. For me, I really don't use or need either one on my PC but theyway this is being handled I'd pick libreoffice'or use koffice :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”