Cannot boot from Live CD or USB

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dojero
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot boot from Live CD or USB

Post by dojero »

This is true for both Fluxbox and LXDE editions.

I am using an ASUS fj series laptop. It has on the hard drive Xubuntu 8.04. When I try to boot the Live CD (Fluxbox or LXDE), it first says it doesn't recognize an identity of some kind, then it says it's scanning for index files. This takes a very, very long time and the hard drive on the laptop spins continuously. Then it says that it cannot find /dev/shm and that /dev/shm cannot be mounted. Then it just sits there.

When I then press CTRL-ALT-DEL, it sends the terminate signal and says to remove the CD. Then I can reboot into the hard drive system.

I am able to use other Live CD's (my Linux Mint XFCE 8 and my Puppy Linux 5.1 Lucid). Both work with no problem.

I have tried using nomodeset in the append line. I also tried using acpi=off in the append line. No effect from either of these.

Can anyone help? At this point, it means that I cannot install Fluxbox, because I can't even get to a booted system.

EDIT: I just successfully booted Mint Gnome 9 from the USB. So it's definitely something to do with the Fluxbox and LXDE versions. Please help if you can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vantonior

Re: Cannot boot from Live CD or USB

Post by vantonior »

Are you using pressed or burned CDs?
If the CDs are burned, try burning them again using the lowest speed available.

Return to “Software & Applications”