Can't Install Google Earth in Linux Mint Debian (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can't Install Google Earth in Linux Mint Debian (SOLVED)

Post by tdockery97 »

Did you go to Package Manager and install libgl1-mesa-dri?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
aubreyzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aubreyzhang »

tdockery97 wrote:Did you go to Package Manager and install libgl1-mesa-dri?
I did that but it did not help. Now I have more problems...

I searched for "how to get GLX Renderer working debian" and followed the instructions given here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Libraries

Now I cannot start the X window - I have a blank screen after GRUB and two screens of info followed. I expect to see the graphic login screen but what I see is a blank screen with a tiny cursor blanking on the top left corner of the screen.

HELP!!!

I can boot into the Recovery mode and run as root. I went through the whole process again several times to make sure I followed the instructions closely. I am using another computer to be able to post this.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

You couldn't do any good to your system by installing nvidia packages in a system with an ati card :!:

So you will have to boot in recovery mode and uninstall all the nvidia packages you installed.

Then when you got a graphic screen back then you could try booting again in recovery mode and running

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
If you still don't have GLX then, you can add to the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (edit as root)

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
If you don't have that file then I don't know for now.
aubreyzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aubreyzhang »

secipolla wrote:You couldn't do any good to your system by installing nvidia packages in a system with an ati card :!:

So you will have to boot in recovery mode and uninstall all the nvidia packages you installed.
Too late, I re-installed LMDE before seeing your reply :-(

But that was not too bad as I had the /home partition. So all my personal data was there before reinstallation.

After reinstall, I tried to add libgl1-mesa-dri using Synapitc and then installed Google Earth - it worked! I really worked! Thank you so much!

It was indeed a video issue - nothing else!
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

darethehair,
Just for giggles I tried again, and got a whole whack of errors in"make". I will post a couple here, as the captured text file is very long (I could email it to you, if you like?). When all the dust settled, and I ran dpkg, it could not fine the .deb file.

Regards,
Bob

Errors:
bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card ATI RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI R300 (RV350 4E50) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2 GLX Version 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

satellitep30-laptop ~ # make-googleearth-package --force
--2010-10-07 14:54:35-- http://dl.google.com/earth/client/curre ... hLinux.bin
Resolving dl.google.com... 74.125.95.93, 74.125.95.136, 74.125.95.91, ...
Connecting to dl.google.com|74.125.95.93|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 31406473 (30M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: “GoogleEarthLinux.bin”

100%[==============================================================================================>] 31,406,473 40.5K/s in 8m 22s

2010-10-07 15:02:58 (61.0 KB/s) - “GoogleEarthLinux.bin” saved [31406473/31406473]

Google Earth for GNU/Linux 5.2.1.1588
Unrecognized Google Earth version; using anyway (because of --force).
Guessed Google Earth version: 5.2.1.1588
./
cut here----------------------------------------------------------------
./googleearth-linux-x86.tar
./googleearth-data.tar
mv: cannot stat `libssl.so.0.9.8': No such file or directory
Checking shlib deps: libnavigate.so
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libauth.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'
Checking shlib deps: libQtCore.so.4
Checking shlib deps: libgdal.so.1
Checking shlib deps: libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2
Checking shlib deps: libproj.so.0
Checking shlib deps: libmoduleframework.so
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'
Checking shlib deps: libge_net.so
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libfusioncommon.so'
cut here---------------------------------------------
Package: googleearth
Version: 5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1
Section: non-free/science
Priority: optional
Maintainer: <root@mint>
Architecture: i386
Depends: ttf-dejavu | ttf-bitstream-vera | msttcorefonts, libc6 (>= 2.0), libc6 (>= 2.1.3), libc6 (>= 2.3), libc6 (>= 2.3.2), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~), libc6 (>= 2.4), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libx11-6, libxext6, libxrender1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0)
Description: Google Earth, a 3D map/planet viewer
Package built with googleearth-package.
dpkg-deb: building package `googleearth' in `./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb'.
Success!
You can now install the package with e.g. sudo dpkg -i <package>.deb
bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $ sudo dpkg -i ./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for bob:
dpkg: error processing ./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb
bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The instructions in 1 or 2 of the tutorials for installing Google Earth in Debian tell you that you will get all those errors and to ignore them. Usually the .deb file that it makes is on your desktop unless you ran this from within another directory. You need to be sure and cd to the directory where the .deb file is.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

tdockery et al,
Thanks for you hints; I started a root terminal and did a "locate", and the .deb file showed up on root's desktop. I imagine that is why sudo root could not find it when I ran the dpkg command. When I ran it as full root, GE installed, with few errors. However, when I ran it (GE) as user bob, it ran just fine.

Now, for a couple of "curiousity" questions:
I wonder why all the errors (a couple of pages of them), when I did "make"? It seemed to be looking for a lot of library source files.
I wonder why the .deb file ended up on roots desktop? Further to this, I wonder if I could have ran "make" as user bob, instead of root? That is what I am used to doing...ie make as user, and install as root.

Regardless of the above, GE is working, and now I can leave the mint deb. hard drive in this machine while I am traveling. Thanks again.

Regards,
Bob
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

robert-e wrote:tdockery et al,
Thanks for you hints; I started a root terminal and did a "locate", and the .deb file showed up on root's desktop. I imagine that is why sudo root could not find it when I ran the dpkg command. When I ran it as full root, GE installed, with few errors. However, when I ran it (GE) as user bob, it ran just fine.

Now, for a couple of "curiousity" questions:
I wonder why all the errors (a couple of pages of them), when I did "make"? It seemed to be looking for a lot of library source files.
I wonder why the .deb file ended up on roots desktop? Further to this, I wonder if I could have ran "make" as user bob, instead of root? That is what I am used to doing...ie make as user, and install as root.
I was going to confirm what tdockery had told you i.e. ignore the warnings and insure that you are correctly locating the 'deb' file in the last step, but you blazed ahead and got success :)

I also do not know 'why' all those warnings occured -- but I ignored them as advised :)
I do not remember if I did this myself as 'root' or as a common user -- but it makes sense that as 'root' it would put the 'deb' inside a 'root' directory somewhere...

Anyways, glad that it worked out for you and you didn't give up!
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
aubreyzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aubreyzhang »

robert-e wrote:darethehair,
Just for giggles I tried again, and got a whole whack of errors in"make". I will post a couple here, as the captured text file is very long (I could email it to you, if you like?). When all the dust settled, and I ran dpkg, it could not fine the .deb file.

Regards,
Bob

Errors:
bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card ATI RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI R300 (RV350 4E50) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2 GLX Version 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

satellitep30-laptop ~ # make-googleearth-package --force
Bob, you need to run this command before "make-googleearth-package --force"

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
I just use the "sudo" prefix rather as root for each command.

To find where the .deb is, you can use the "ls" command to list all files in your current directory.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

robert-e wrote:bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $ sudo dpkg -i ./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for bob:
dpkg: error processing ./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
./googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb
bob@satellitep30-laptop ~ $
sudo dpkg -i googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb

You put an uneeded ./ before the package name.

Regarding the build warnings, forget it, important is the "Success!"
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Aubury,
Understood; I tried that, and got an error message. Rather than troubleshoot the error message, I just used synaptic to install it. Then went on to the rest of the good advice.

Bob
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Glad it worked for you. Sometimes you have to take a few detours, but Debian always shines through.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

aubreyzhang wrote:I
So the question is, how to get GLX Renderer working?
Hint: ATI driver download -> Catalyst driver. The "ati" /"radeon" driver provided by xorg isn't bad at all, but for Google Earth/tuxracer et al you need the accelerated 3d-stuff from ATI.
hth
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Yes, that is true: the ATI driver is much superior than the kernel radion driver. That said; and here is where it gets murky: (some of) the newer kernels will not support the older Catalyst drivers. ATI dropped support for the older cards. I know that I cannot install them for my x350 (9600), whereas I used to with the older kernels. Now, this was the case with Fedora, and I think that Fedora fiddled with the kernels for their own purposes, with that as a possible result. I do recall reading that because they wanted the "in house" kernel driver to be well tested, that they disabled the ability to install the Nvidia driver. Now to be fair, that may have just been "net noise", but it was a fact that for a while one could not install an Nvidia driver.

Bottom line: do your research before installing/changing video drivers, or before updating your kernel. Newer is NOT always better.

Regards,
Bob
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I'm not sure but I think that the incompatibilities are with the xorg version. Like NVIDIA keeps updating its drivers for old cards so they keep compatible with the new xorg versions. But ATI doesn't do that so one has to use older o.s. like Lenny, or Hardy, for instance.
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

secipolla wrote:I'm not sure but I think that the incompatibilities are with the xorg version. Like NVIDIA keeps updating its drivers for old cards so they keep compatible with the new xorg versions. But ATI doesn't do that so one has to use older o.s. like Lenny, or Hardy, for instance.
True. If you have an older ATI card + newer xorg, you're fu***ed, because neither the older fglx nor the new catalyst work. Well, a mid range nvidia card is not that expensive. Why not supporting the people who really care for Linux?
regards
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

re older ati vid card;
Yeah, I would replace the ati video in a heartbeat; unfortunatly, it is a laptop, and the video is integral to the the motherboard. The rest of the computer is still pretty current...runs at over 3 gHz, has really good speakers/sound output and such. The screen is slowly dying and that will eventually sound the death knel of the thing...in the meantime, it works petty good with Mint (better with XP, because of the ati junk). And so it goes..The other laptop has an Nvidia chip, and it works (most of the time, barring kernel updates).
Regards,
Bob

Return to “LMDE Archive”