gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kazmirzak

gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Post by Kazmirzak »

Hi,

As far as I got with my testing, LMDE installs without problems and almost everything works as expected. But there's a serious flaw in Linux Mint Debian: the package gdebi is missing and no replacement for it is there, so when someone downloads a deb, for example from skype.com, he will get the Archive Manager when double clicking on it - a pretty useless program for installing a .deb file.

Lucky enough gdebi is in the repos and works like a charm. So I can't really understand why it is not in the standard installation. Maybe it was simply forgotten? Its absence can be a real show stopper if you don't know about it.

greets,
Jürgen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: gdebi missing in Linux Mint Debian

Post by richyrich »

This has been noted before in this same forum

From Clem:
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with a Debian base, which we transformed into a live media and on top of which we added a new installer. It’s rougher and in some aspects not as user-friendly as our other editions, it’s very young but it will improve continuously and rapidly, and it brings us one step closer to a situation where we’re fully in control of the system without being impacted by upstream decisions.
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... bi#p322713
Kazmirzak

Post by Kazmirzak »

Hi richyrich,

sorry didn't know it has been mentioned before. Now, at least, it has an own forum tread and possibly attracts some attention ;-)

I know that there's still a LOT of hard work to do... But as far as I am able to judge on this, it is a minor fix for the dev team that is probably done within a couple of minutes, so there is a chance they could work on this very quickly and for the next iso (if one is planned soon which I don't know)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

They mention in the blog, and a few other places in the forums that they are concentrating on Mint 10 right now. Once Julia is released, I predict a completely reworked iso from them . . . stay tuned in the new year ! :mrgreen:
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

dpkg -i packagename

gdebi isn't really needed but it does make things a bit easier for those afraid of CLI
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nalsdixit »

it is not i am 'afraid' of CLI, but rather i do not know enough, or am still learning. when i download a package and the default is open with 'archive manager' i click it. for users like me, it would surely help to have gdebi installed.

fwiw, i believe this is where mint will have a niche over the more savvy debian users

nals
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

nalsdixit wrote:it is not i am 'afraid' of CLI, but rather i do not know enough, or am still learning. when i download a package and the default is open with 'archive manager' i click it. for users like me, it would surely help to have gdebi installed.

fwiw, i believe this is where mint will have a niche over the more savvy debian users

nals
Open the Bourne-again shell ("terminal"). Hold your breath, because this terminal is not mouseable, you must write something (I know, I know...). And now: $ sudo apt-get install gdebi <hit enter>
Puuh, that was something...
hth

Return to “LMDE Archive”