Maverick approaching final release.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmesantos1

Re: Maverick approaching final release.

Post by mmesantos1 »

And its hear now! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

It is here and it runs decent on my hardware this time around! This is the first release since 8.04 that has run without jumping through hoops to make thing run decent. I am looking forward to the improvements in the graphics stack that 11.04 is supposed to bring.

Edit: I am going to take a look at Kubuntu 10.10 today, the new default browser has my interest.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

exploder wrote:It is here and it runs decent on my hardware this time around! This is the first release since 8.04 that has run without jumping through hoops to make thing run decent. I am looking forward to the improvements in the graphics stack that 11.04 is supposed to bring.

Edit: I am going to take a look at Kubuntu 10.10 today, the new default browser has my interest.
I went ahead and did an upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 and all is working fine. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have seen several reports of successful upgrades. Upgrading was one of the requested areas of testing for the Maverick release and it would seem that it helped.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

exploder wrote:It is here and it runs decent on my hardware this time around! This is the first release since 8.04 that has run without jumping through hoops to make thing run decent. I am looking forward to the improvements in the graphics stack that 11.04 is supposed to bring.

I'm installing Kubuntu 10.10 myself today...just burned the iso for it...I had run the live cd of the beta and was very impressed...it was the first direct Kubuntu that actually felt very smooth and polished :)

Also, while the KPackageKit software installer use to "suck"...the new version that 10.10 has is EXCELLENT....
This should be interesting!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

craig10x, I would be interested in your thoughts on the installed system. I have been playing with the Live CD and it does look pretty nice. The new default browser seemed to work nice and it offered to install the codecs on the first launch, nice!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

no problem, exploder...would be glad to...It usually takes me about 2 or 3 days to get everything set up the way i like it (programs i like, etc)
yes..you can have it install codecs during the installation process, though i believe that package doesn't include the microsoft fonts...

so i will probably wait and install Kubuntu Restricted Extras (which that does have) after the install...and then copy and paste the encrypted dvd codec from medibuntu's site..that should give me everything i get on Mint 9...

I am a bit confused about the new Ubuntu fonts...are they just for the applications, or are you supposed to use them on the web browsers as well (like firefox and chromium) because i remember on the live cd, it does add them in automatically to your browsers as well if you want to select them as an option...

I'm actually going to be wiping off my Mint 9 and replacing it with the Kubuntu 10.10..hope i won't be sorry later :roll:
But from what i saw playing with it, it should be fine :wink:
Last edited by craig10x on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

craig10x, the Ubuntu fonts are not the default for documents or the web browser. The new fonts are supposed to look decent with a variety of languages. Are you by any chance using nvidea graphics on the system you are installing on?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I have a AMD 64 Turion X2 processor with the ATI Radeon Graphics...It's a Toshiba Laptop (which is about 1 1/2 years old)...and i always install the 64 bit version..even though i only have 3 gb of ram, i think things run a tad faster when i use that version...

I guess i can try the ubuntu fonts in the browser (mostly i use chromium now) and if i don't like it as much as their normal defaulted fonts, i can always switch it back...

By the way, i use the stock video drivers it puts in on the install..have never used the optional video drivers...i know sometimes you can have problems when you do that, so i simply avoid it altogether :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tried the fonts in Firefox, the default fonts look better to me but the Ubuntu fonts looked fine how they are used by default. I am also on 64 bit because 10.04 did not give me the pae kernel by default and I don't have to worry about that in 64 bit. The Ubuntu Maverick release is working perfectly on my system with an nvidea GT 220 but has an issue with plymouth on the system with 6150 on-board graphics. I can see the LCS's grid in plymouth using the nvidea drivers with the 6150, everything else is fine.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

exploder wrote:
I have seen several reports of successful upgrades. Upgrading was one of the requested areas of testing for the Maverick release and it would seem that it helped.
Ya the upgrade went through fine. No issues during or after upgrade. I even had some repo's put in from Ubuntu tweak and no issue there. I think this will be a very good release for Ubuntu. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think this will be a very good release for Ubuntu. :)
I am thinking the same, even the known issues are not too bad and they already have a fixes and work around thread up. I am just happy I can finally use my Foxconn system without massive problems. :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'll be installing Kubuntu 10.10 after lunch...but based on what i saw on the live cd (which i played with for an entire day with the beta version)...this is also going to be one of the nicest Kubuntu releases yet :D

Looks like they finally gave Kubuntu some "love" :mrgreen:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

exploder...i'm typing this from my new kubuntu 10.10 installation...just a few initial observations...

1) as i previously observed, KPackageKit is now EXCELLENT...i felt no need to install the package manager (which is not installed in kubuntu by default as it is in mint kde)...It's fast, and also very attractive looking now and all the programs are in there...It works as well as the ubuntu software center or the mint equivalent version...except for no product reviews but it does contain full descriptions...

2) Boot Up MUCH FASTER then Mint 9 KDE...i would say, about 1/3 the time...I was really blown away with that...

3) Seems to be less memory and cpu usage then i had in Mint 9 KDE...i will have to make some more observations on that...

4) Definite improvement in sound...due to switching to Pulse Audio as the default (i never used it before)....it works very well, by the way, and i noticed better sound in both music videos, streaming radio (haven't added in my music library yet...but no doubt that will sound better also)...

5) As you mentioned, Ubuntu fonts are now default in the main system font settings, and available in the web browsers if you desire to select them...
So far, i have not set them in my Chromium browser, since the normal microsoft fonts that it is defaulted to look great as it is...
Though i may play with them at some point just to compare...don't know if there would be much difference....
Which way do you like it better (in your browsers) with or without the ubuntu fonts? (other users inputs on that question will also be welcome)

Very pleased with 10.10 I was a bit worried earlier...since i was wiping out mint 9 kde...but now i am very happy with the results...
Seems very stable too :)
Last edited by craig10x on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

maverick is here, so cool !! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

craig10x, your feedback on kubuntu 10.10 is very much appreciated! As far as the fonts go, I still use sans for the browser. The Ubuntu font might be a better choice using another language besides English. I am glad you are happy with your new install! :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

To be honest, everything is looking so good when i am surfing on Chromium in kubuntu 10.10 that i might not even bother playing with it... :wink:
One thing i did encounter is that initially everything looked "way off" in the rendering...so i went into settings and enable the anti-aliasing with RGB and slight hinting (which i once had to do when i did an appearance change in mint 9 kde and it threw everything out of whack)...

Once i did that, everything looked fabulous (much like it did in Mint 9 KDE)...Don't know if it happened to you on your gnome install, but just wanted to note that, in case anyone here encounters it when installing Kubuntu 10.10 (a little tip) :)
Of course it's only the first day on the final version...so, i guess these type of things are to be expected :lol:

Very impressed with this, i must say...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I appreciate the tip, I did not see this in gnome. So far I have seen mostly positive experiences with kubuntu 10.10. I appreciate your taking the time to post your experiences with the new release.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Anyone used both? Is Gnome or KDE faster?
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

badmotor wrote:Anyone used both? Is Gnome or KDE faster?
I tried both on my netbook today.

Specs:
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz
1GB RAM
Intel 945GME graphics

Other than boot time (The Gnome version boots a bit faster), I don't notice a difference in speed. Both are very responsive

I'm liking the Rekonq web browser so far, it's very fast and has adblock built-in.
I'll have to use it some more before deciding if I want to make it my default web browser, though.

I think both will be very good releases.
Use the desktop you prefer.

Return to “Chat about Linux”