LMDE on Mac

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hex54t6

LMDE on Mac

Post by hex54t6 »

Hi,
I downloaded the Debian Mint, and it is having some troubles booting on a MacBook 5,1. Here's what happens:

Boots up, loads ISOLinux,
Shows splash screen (automatic boot in 10, 9, etc),
Thens stops - says something like: ERROR init undefined for 4322 (I don't recall the exact wording). It then hangs and I have to reboot.

My wireless card is a BCM4322, so it's either a funky coincidence, or linux isn't playing nice with broadcom, but I have never experienced anything like this before.

I'm prepared to try anything to get this to work. I back up so nothing's really a big deal, but any help would be immensely appreciated. It is my intention to dual boot linux and mac.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LMDE on Mac

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Newbie Questions
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

•installation of Debian Linux is not straightforward and requires quite some extra configuration work
remember, linux mint DEBIAN edition.
hex54t6

Post by hex54t6 »

I found the problem, definitely something to watch out for. Nothing to do with he installation or my lack of skill. The superdrive completely wrecked the disk. I've noticed this a lot but it rendered it unreadable almost immediately due to scratching.

Used USB and it works beautifully.
adamt222
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adamt222 »

I found the same issue (I think) after installing Mint Debian 201012 to my Macbook.
The wireless hardware was not detected, leaving only lo and eth1.

In Synaptic, you will find (firmware) drivers for Broadcom. I found a few of them, and chose to
either upgrade them, or install them (as I was not sure which was my hardware since
the system did not detect it on install). This will teach me to get System Profile Info while using the Mac,
and yes (shame on me), it's a dual-boot machine, so I could have used System Profiler to get exact hardware specs.

So, of course, I had to connect...somehow. I wound up taking out an Ethernet cable
and connecting it to my router and after that I was able to get the Broadcom firmware
updates/installs and from there I was good-to-go.
http://nylinuxhelp.com/blogs/macbook/fi ... n-macbook/
Hope this helps,
Adam

Return to “LMDE Archive”