solid state hard drive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CsG_kieran_2

solid state hard drive?

Post by CsG_kieran_2 »

Hi, am new to mint and am loving it!

stupid question? is there any record of problems with solid state hard drives? I am thinking of upgrading to one but i need to know what i could be getting into, thanks.
(Kingston 40gb or Intel 40gb) :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: solid state hard drive?

Post by jungle_boy »

No problems with solid state hard drives, it works like a usb media...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
CsG_kieran_2

Post by CsG_kieran_2 »

Ok thanks for the help :)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

The only real problem is that they can wear out, since they only have a certain number of writes to each cell before it fails. If you write continuously to your SSD, 24/7, for a few years, you will probably notice that a percentage of it no longer works. For me, that's not a huge problem, because I don't write that much that often, and I'll certainly replace it after a few years anyway. I still have HDDs lying around, still in good shape, but I have little use for a HDD with a 128MB or so capacity. IMO, an SSD is far superior to a spinning magnetic drive. The capacity is lower, but I don't need a terabyte of storage for what I keep, and my 32GB SSD is nowhere near being full. The speed, reliability, and power savings far outweigh any minor disadvantages.
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

if you're not a graphic designer or a extreme player ( wine lacks in high level games ), I advise you to wait longer.
the price - still very high profits
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I bought a used one (still pricey, but not like a new one) and use it as my boot drive with my data on a conventional drive. I am thrilled with it. My computer boots up in 30 seconds!
CsG_kieran_2

Post by CsG_kieran_2 »

Thank you all for the advice, i have had a look around and most are a bit pricey. here is to next year i guess :lol:
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

I have Kingston 64 GB, and so far no problems, with hard drive, on Mint Debian. :)
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I have been using SSDs for up to two years on three computers for OS with data on HDD. No failures or slow down.
CsG_kieran_2

Post by CsG_kieran_2 »

Okay i have a different question to ask.

Hybrid hard drives? is there any compatibility problems with these "less known" drives on mint? tnx :)
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

My Raptor drive boots in 45 secs and shut down in 15 secs, is certainly not slow for a platter based drive :o) Like others, I use this drive for the OS and two others for data & back up. Slow hard drives do bottle neck the OS install process, if you stick to traditional platter based HD's then go with one with as much RAM on it as you can afford, rather than gb size as a small sized disc means faster read times, and a large HD (or two) for your data. Always remember to back your data up regularly!

Could be cheaper / wiser to invest in cpu, ram upgrades rather than SSD HD's depending on the rest of the spec of your machine...?
E.M.G.

Post by E.M.G. »

I put a Corsair 128GB SSD just about a year ago ... lightning fast and not a single problem ... hope I didn't jinx myself

Return to “Beginner Questions”