LMDE Install Problem on Transmeta Laptop: Very Strange

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE Install Problem on Transmeta Laptop: Very Strange

Post by darethehair »

In this case, I highly doubt that anyone has experienced the same problem, nor will be able to help me -- but I figured I should post this for (possible) posterity :)

On a lark, I decided to wipe out my Mint 7 install on my 2002-era Fujitsu Lifebook P2120 laptop (with a strange 'Transmeta' CPU). I have now tried it about 4 or 5 times, and it never completes -- instead, it hangs:

- Most of the time it hangs after about 10 minutes or so, right at the point of trying to copy/install "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386/jli/libjli.so"
- One time it hung near the very end while trying to copy/install stuff from "/tmp"

At first I suspected a bad DVD burn (this laptop is not capable of booting for USB). This morning, I used different DVD media/brand, and I got a good MD5SUM value, so I was very optimistic that this would be the solution. However, it was not. It hangs forever at the same spot -- not crashes. Very odd! How can 'copying' a file behave like this? It should either work or die.

I even has started to suspect silly thing, like trying both 'ext4' and 'ext3' as the filing system format -- but no difference. I am scratching my head wondering what other technique I could use to get LMDE on that little old laptop :/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
thetank

Re: LMDE Install Problem on Transmeta Laptop: Very Strange

Post by thetank »

You're funny!

Work is never done.
dieing is subjective, but again, funny!

If you want it to work so perfectly, stick with apples.

Instead, go get some work done, and research.

http://www.apple.com/
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE Install Problem on Transmeta Laptop: Very Strange

Post by darethehair »

Responding to my own post, typing this on my old P2120 running LMDE:

- I still do not know what is the issue with my LMDE DVDs (or is it my DVD drive?)
- I used the nifty 'Plop' boot loader to bypass my BIOS and boot from my LMDE USB stick, which I then used to install LMDE successfully :)

The laptop is very slow (355 on Geekbench score), but it does work. I then went to install LXDE on it, which made it a bit more responsive.

"TheTank", I didn't get the 'humor' of my original post, nor was it a lack of effort and research on my part that led to the original impasse. Google said nothing about my problem, unfortunately, but fortunately there are utilities that let me 'work around' the BIOS limitation of my laptop. This just goes to show that even a person (such as myself) with 15 years or so of Linux experience is not going to have totally 'smooth saling' :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “LMDE Archive”