more like mint light...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ichat

more like mint light...

Post by ichat »

As a lot of you all have tried allready and some have done pretty well i still seam to miss a lot of mintness in many of the work done.

in my honest opinion its because of the lack of 'co-operation'

we've got gnome, xfcgnome (its not xfce because it uses to much gnome stuff, like gdm and network-manager), and we've got kde ...

i would like to see more of a 'work-together'-situation.

let kde and gnome take up the 'full desktop' market, and let xfce- become the 'mint-lite'

than take lxde and the boxes (like openbox) take the 'custom' desktop experience for example by creating a 'mini' install disk that sets up the base linux and allow people to customize it from there. either by installing a meta-package like xfce-desktop (example; from ubuntu) from the web or by downloading packages and saving them to disk, pendrive or cdrom in advance.

this shouldn't take away all the good work people have done like creating the lxde version, by no means, but it should in my honnest opion diferentiate the 'official supported' mint versions from the CE's thus having 4 official versions
(kde gnome xfce (lite) and base

in my honest opinion mint with all its editions is getting blurred to much for common users..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crystal8es

Re: more like mint light...

Post by crystal8es »

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.

Post by Robin »

Hello Crystal! Welcome to the wonderful Minty fresh world of Linux Mint! :mrgreen:

And Ichat, I think I disagree about the number of versions. At first it can seem kinda confusing to have so many to choose from, but when you realize the almost infinite mixtures and configurations that are possible in Linux, it's way cool to have some ready-made to just install and go! I've tried a bunch of them and chosen a favorite - yet I still tweak mine to make it just the way I like it.

Alot depends on your 'puter too. Mint Xfce requires half as much RAM as it's Gnome and KDE counterparts, but not so little that I have to give up features I like. For me it's the perfect balance. For another user it might not be because of their hardware, their likes and dislikes, whatever... but the number of choices shouldn't be limited to make it easier on people who aren't willing (yet) to explore a little.

-R
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

ichat wrote:As a lot of you all have tried allready and some have done pretty well i still seam to miss a lot of mintness in many of the work done.

in my honest opinion its because of the lack of 'co-operation'

we've got gnome, xfcgnome (its not xfce because it uses to much gnome stuff, like gdm and network-manager), and we've got kde ...

i would like to see more of a 'work-together'-situation.

let kde and gnome take up the 'full desktop' market, and let xfce- become the 'mint-lite'

than take lxde and the boxes (like openbox) take the 'custom' desktop experience for example by creating a 'mini' install disk that sets up the base linux and allow people to customize it from there. either by installing a meta-package like xfce-desktop (example; from ubuntu) from the web or by downloading packages and saving them to disk, pendrive or cdrom in advance.

this shouldn't take away all the good work people have done like creating the lxde version, by no means, but it should in my honnest opion diferentiate the 'official supported' mint versions from the CE's thus having 4 official versions
(kde gnome xfce (lite) and base

in my honest opinion mint with all its editions is getting blurred to much for common users..
I'm sorry but going the way you suggest would be more akin to M$ and the monopoly they have built .There are many different distros because of the open source code ...being able to see the code and modify it in a way that works for you the individual end user makes for a more secure and more stable operating system in my opinion.It is also more in tune to find a system you are comfortable with .

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”