Installing wiped my home directory

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lurimax

Installing wiped my home directory

Post by Lurimax »

I have been using Mint KDE for a while now, but thought i finally would like to give LMDE a try. I installed it like i usually do when test running a distro, wiping and mounting / and just mounting /home (they are sda1 and sda2 respectively) and use the same username as the old KDE install. When i booted up after the installed, i found out that LMDE had decided to wipe my home directory. There was no warning, no messages, and i know it's not formatted, because some other folder under /home are still there (only ~ was wiped).

Is this normal and i just didn't see the warning? Any ideas on how to recover everything. I've tried with photorec, but it pulls out stuff from waaaay back (3 yeard old hdd) and it doesn't seem to get the file name, so it's not very useful for this purpose.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing wiped my home directory

Post by voss749 »

Create a new user that matches your old user account EXACTLY and see what that does.
Lurimax

Re: Installing wiped my home directory

Post by Lurimax »

My current user is an exact copy, even the user id is the same. All other folders from old installations, old home directories i just renamed "home_old" or "home_even_older", are still there.

Return to “LMDE Archive”