Couple questions, #1: When will LMDE get the Mint 10 menu?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
phrostbyte

Couple questions, #1: When will LMDE get the Mint 10 menu?

Post by phrostbyte »

So.. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 now... but I'm probably gonna go back to LMDE. There's just a few things I was wondering.. I know LMDE uses Debian repos instead of Ubuntu repos..in addition to that it also has the Mint repos of course. But.. in practical implementation, what does that mean? When will LMDE get the Mint 10 menu? When does it get the latest Firefox and OpenOffice builds? The latest kernel? I'm thinking that I'll just keep running Ubuntu until LMDE 64-bit is released.. or possibly switch to Mint 10 until LMDE 64 is out.. but I'm not sure yet. Anyone have any advice or information that might help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
randomizer

Re: Couple questions, #1: When will LMDE get the Mint 10 men

Post by randomizer »

The question should be "when will Mint 10 get the LMDE menu?" ;) LMDE has the newer builds of the mintmenu in the romeo repo.

Firefox is updated using the standard Firefox auto-updater at the moment and doesn't use the repositories. You need to run it as root to get it to update though. This was necessary because Debian Testing currently runs Firefox 3.5.x (or Iceweasel to be more exact). The kernel is going to be updated whenever it is updated in Testing, which will not be until Squeeze goes Stable. I don't know about OOo.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

OpenOffice 3.2 is already in Testing, OOo 3.3 is only beta.

You might want to try LibreOffice, http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 3.6.10-1
Candidate: 3.6.10-1
Which is the same as the current version of Firefox,Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10

What do you consider the "latest" kernel?

stable: 2.6.35.7 or mainline: 2.6.36-rc7

Current kernel in Debian:
linux-image-2.6-686:
Installed: 2.6.32+28
Candidate: 2.6.32+28

liquorix kernel:
linux-image-2.6.35-6.dmz.3-liquorix-686:
Installed: 2.6.35-17
Candidate: 2.6.35-17

You can also install 2.6.36-rc6 from either Debian experimental or by using the 'future' repo in liquorix.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

As far as the kernel... I guess the latest stable build is recent enough. No point in going into uncharted waters with a beta kernel. Same with Firefox and OpenOffice actually... any of that software. I suppose the big question left on the table is when are the romeo repos packages released into the standard repos? Justin online was saying that when Mint 10 comes out.. the mint menu will go from romeo repos to regular repos.. so basically both Mint 10 and LMDE will be getting the new mint menu at the same time? If so, that's real cool! I hope jutin is right! :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Already have the new Mint Menu 5.1.3
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “LMDE Archive”