Fluxbox 64-bit?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
macabu

Fluxbox 64-bit?

Post by macabu »

Hi!
I'm new here, i'm using Ubuntu at the moment but i simply fell in love with LinuxMint 9 Fluxbox <*-*>
The problem is: I have 4GB RAM, 1GB VGA, 64-bit processor and using x86 i couldn't enjoy all the features provided by my PC and Mint.
And i didn't find the download link for 64-bit, if it exists.
If not (T-T *snif*), any unofficial version?

Thanks in adv
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Fluxbox 64-bit?

Post by dawgdoc »

I remember reading that the idea for a 64bit LXDE edition had been vetoed, and I think the same holds true for 64bit Fluxbox.

You could always install the Mint 64bit XFCE or Gnome and add a Fluxbox as a desktop environment.

Or, check Synpatic in the 32bit edition of Fluxbox and see if there is a PAE kernel by using the quicksearch tool. There are How To guides in the forum and on the community site about upgrading/changing kernels. The PAE (bigmem) kernel can access upto 64Mb ram.
macabu

Post by macabu »

dawgdoc wrote:I remember reading that the idea for a 64bit LXDE edition had been vetoed, and I think the same holds true for 64bit Fluxbox.

You could always install the Mint 64bit XFCE or Gnome and add a Fluxbox as a desktop environment.

Or, check Synpatic in the 32bit edition of Fluxbox and see if there is a PAE kernel by using the quicksearch tool. There are How To guides in the forum and on the community site about upgrading/changing kernels. The PAE (bigmem) kernel can access upto 64Mb ram.
Hmm...I prefer downloading XFCE x64 and then change into Fluxbox.
One more question: The system will be lightweight as if installed Fluxbox natively?
Thanks again ;)
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Wellll,

From comments in the forums, it should be close. How close is close enough is up to you. I have only used the Gnome 32bit editions. I only have 1.5Gb ram so have not changed kernels either. I have no explicit experience with Fluxbox natively or on top of XFCE, nor of XFCE by itself.

Well, actually I have been using LMDE for weeks now. On boot it is usually at 170 - 190 Mb ram. That is with compiz enabled, conky and wireless running. With multiple tabs open in Firefox added to the mix I am at 270 Mb.

With your system will you be able to empirically tell the difference one way or another. Yes you will be able to tell from system monitors, but will you feel the difference? :D

Return to “Software & Applications”