Mint Debian, install KDE4, possible?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beli0135

Mint Debian, install KDE4, possible?

Post by beli0135 »

Is it possible, and how, to install KDE4 on Mint Debian?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint Debian, install KDE4, possible?

Post by Oscar799 »

I moved this here
Seems like a better home for it
oscar799
Forum Admin
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

beli0135 wrote:Is it possible, and how, to install KDE4 on Mint Debian?
Maybe. There's a package name "kde-full" found on package manager. Haven't tested it but based on the description, it should install KDE. I just don't know what KDE version would that be.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Hmm.. I'd like to have kde4.5
Djon

Post by Djon »

Hi!

If you like KDE what about sidux (aptosid)?

Regards
Djon
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Djon wrote:Hi!

If you like KDE what about sidux (aptosid)?

Regards
Djon
sidux is not as easy and as complete (out of the box) compared to Mint. Haven't tried aptosid.
Also, I don't like how sidux change the KDE theme. Though, there must be a way to use the original KDE theme, I don't know how to. :(
Also, after sidux removed smxi and sgfxi support, it was a bit complicated to update my nvidia propreitary drivers after a kernel upgrade.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

well them "removing support" doesn't mean you can't use it. I know the sidux forum is sometimes a little heavy on the "don't do this don't do that or you forfeit all support" yadda yadda. I think they wont even let you add repos hehe.

Just do what you like just as in any other debian based system - as long as you're careful. And in case of emergency just ask in the debian forum instead of aptosid's ;)
Although I'm not sure how functional/upd-to-date/old smxi is since my playing around with it and sidux was pleasant but short (decided i wanted a bit more of "just runs" - i am a linux-newbie after all and while learning is always a pleasure of course I do have other things I'm supposed to be learning :))
GerMulvey

Post by GerMulvey »

sidux/aptosid can still use the smxi scripts etc just head to www.smxi.org and add them!
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

gotjazz wrote:well them "removing support" doesn't mean you can't use it. I know the sidux forum is sometimes a little heavy on the "don't do this don't do that or you forfeit all support" yadda yadda. I think they wont even let you add repos hehe.
Indeed. That's the main reason I prefer Mint over Sidux/Aptosid. Mint is *based* on pure Debian, but Mint is not Debian's poodle! Huh? Firefox? Not the "orthodoxian" the one and only Iceweasel 3.5.xxxx? Tss, and here they talk about (cough cough) evil **Multimedia** -aps and use the real name for them. And they don't wet their pants when they do it. :lol:
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

KDE is 4.4.3 in Squeeze

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-full
gets everything: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/kde-full

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop
gets basic KDE: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/kde-plasma-desktop
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Yap, that is what I needed.

What was intent in the 1st place: I wish rolling release, but I dont like gnome.
Currently openSUSE user, but I really got tired of installing new versions (any distro).

Arch is too... arch... lol
Gentoo is too nag due to everything compiling from source (which is good, on one side, and not so on the other)
Sabayon is excellent, but not rolling.

Used mint before (my fav distro behind openSUSE), now this rolling is really tempting, but I dont want gnome. As you say, if possible to install kde, then I just might go for it.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

beli0135 wrote:Hmm.. I'd like to have kde4.5
There is an unofficlal repo for kde4.5
# Debian Qt/KDE (KDE4.5) semi-official package repository http://qt-kde.debian.net/
# Secure APT- aptitude install pkg-kde-archive-keyring
# deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian experimental-snapshots main
# deb-src http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian experimental-snapshots main

Or you can follow the steps secipolla posted.
vincent

Post by vincent »

beli0135 wrote:Yap, that is what I needed.

What was intent in the 1st place: I wish rolling release, but I dont like gnome.
Currently openSUSE user, but I really got tired of installing new versions (any distro).

Arch is too... arch... lol
Gentoo is too nag due to everything compiling from source (which is good, on one side, and not so on the other)
Sabayon is excellent, but not rolling.

Used mint before (my fav distro behind openSUSE), now this rolling is really tempting, but I dont want gnome. As you say, if possible to install kde, then I just might go for it.
Sounds like you would do well with just plain, vanilla Debian + KDE packages, with Mint's packages added post-install. If you've tried both Arch and Gentoo, I'm sure you'll find getting a Debian system set up pretty straightforward. It's more cleaner than trying to add KDE upon a Gnome base, at least.
beli0135

Post by beli0135 »

Actually, apt-get install kde-full did the job perfectly.
Yea, not clean due to having gnome also, but who cares, I my just switch back-and forth if I wish to..

Return to “LMDE Archive”