If your scanner doesn't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donvin

Re: If your scanner doesn't work-- Brother DCP-7040

Post by donvin »

Solved. After several hours of work, I found I hadn't installed the driver in the correct directory. Someday I'll learn.... Why do the various versions of Linux put standard files in different directories???
Now i can keep using Mint, thank goodness.
arslanshah

Re: If your scanner doesn't work

Post by arslanshah »

This is great solution of to solve the scanner problem. I am facing this problem. After joining this, I am able to solve my scanner problem. I suggest to other people com to this discussion and solve their problem. Thanks
cupofcalculus

Post by cupofcalculus »

jabot wrote:Hi all,
just thought I'd share this fix with anyone who needs to get an Epson scanner working, (Mint 9 and i.i.r.c. also on Mint 7).
I do a lot of film photography and consequent scanning of negatives and slides, so I really needed to get my scanner up and running on Mint 9 now that I have dumped XP. Unfortunately though my V200 scanner isn't supported in Sane, Xsane or anywhere else, so I needed to find an answer elsewhere. By good luck I remembered seeing something about Avasys here in the forums and tried their website :

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

It's not the most intuitive of sites to work in, but I finally located and downloaded a .deb file that seemed to be recommended for my V200; I installed it and BINGO !!
My scanner works fine with the gui provided with the program and an old Perfection 1200 I have works with it too. I can now scan docs, photos, negatives and slides - Result
It still won't work with Sane though !
I hope this info helps someone ....

I have an Epson Stylus NX420 All-in-one Printer, and I've downloaded and installed the driver. The printer works fine now, but I'm having trouble getting the scanner to work. The link provided by jabot is for Epson Scanners, but not for All-in-ones.

I'm brand new to Linux and I've been doing my best to read and research before posting. Could someone help walk me through this, or provide a link to a site that can? I really appreciate it. Thanks. :)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson NX420 scanner driver from Epson

Post by pdc_2 »

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do is the Epson site

as I see it, you download Image lite from the above page

clicking on NX420 gives this

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl ... kjet/escp/

which is the printer driver?
cupofcalculus

Re: Epson NX420 scanner driver from Epson

Post by cupofcalculus »

pdc_2 wrote:http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do is the Epson site

as I see it, you download Image lite from the above page

clicking on NX420 gives this

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl ... kjet/escp/

which is the printer driver?
See if you can access this webpage.
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL2.do
cupofcalculus

Post by cupofcalculus »

After downloading the printer driver, scanner driver, data package, and core package, I tried to use XSane Image Scanner and said

Failed to open device `epkowa:usb:002:003':
Access to resource has been denied.

Seems to be the closest I've been to getting it to work. :(
sylvainsjc

Post by sylvainsjc »

cupofcalculus wrote:After downloading the printer driver, scanner driver, data package, and core package, I tried to use XSane Image Scanner and said

Failed to open device `epkowa:usb:002:003':
Access to resource has been denied.

Seems to be the closest I've been to getting it to work. :(
With your printer ON and connected, can you give the return of this commands in the terminal :

Code: Select all

uname -a
sane-config --version
sane-find-scanner
scanimage -V
scanimage -L
cupofcalculus

Post by cupofcalculus »

sylvainsjc wrote:
With your printer ON and connected, can you give the return of this commands in the terminal :

Code: Select all

uname -a
sane-config --version
sane-find-scanner
scanimage -V
scanimage -L

uname -a
Linux HAL-9000 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:09:38 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sane-config --version
The program 'sane-config' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install libsane-dev

So I ran "sudo apt-get install libsane-dev" and now I get

sane-find-scanner
No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0864) at libsub:002:003
Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.20; backend version 1.0.20

scanimage -L
device `epkowa:usb:002:003' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
goltoof

Post by goltoof »

cupofcalculus wrote:
sylvainsjc wrote: So I ran "sudo apt-get install libsane-dev" and now I get...
I'm in the exact same spot as you now. When I hit Scan on the printer I get "Communication Error. Check the connection."

The printer works fine.

Using NX420
cupofcalculus

Post by cupofcalculus »

I have the installation disc, if that's any help.
cupofcalculus

Post by cupofcalculus »

Well, I got my Epson Stylus NX420 scanner working. Not to my complete satisfaction, but it works. Here's what I did.

First, I opened up the terminal and typed: sudo apt-get install libsane-dev

Then I downloaded the file http://launchpadlibrarian.net/14664165/45-libsane.rules and pasted it in etc/udev/rules.d/ and then edited it by adding the line

# Epson Stylus NX420
SYSFS(idVendor)=="0x04b8", SYSFS(idProduct)=="0x0864", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

I tried pressing the button "Scan" on the NX420 itself, and the machine still said "Communication error. Check the connection". So I rebooted. Once I logged back in, and pressed the Scan button on the machine, it again said error. :(

However, when I opened up XSane Image Scanner, and I clicked the scan button on the screen, it worked! I don't know if a reboot is mandatory, but before you do, try using the XSane interface to scan before rebooting.

It'd be nice if I could press the button on the scanner itself and make it work. Any ideas?

And thanks for this thread. It helped! :)
sylvainsjc

Post by sylvainsjc »

@cupofcalculus

You use 64 bits LinuxMint version

I never succeded to make the scanner work on a 64 bits system with 32 bits proprietary drivers (my experience with Lexmark)

Can you test with a 32 bits LinuxMint version ?
skottyrg

HP Photosmart B110 series

Post by skottyrg »

Hi, i just bought a new HP Photosmart B110 series, It prints just fine, but I can't get it to scan. Any idea of how to do this?
thanks in advance!

Skotty
Larsman

Post by Larsman »

Epson RX580 all-in-one is scanning and printing now.
Get the epson and iscan deb's from Avasys (mine is i386, they also have 64), get the lenny deb from Ubuntu- do a Google search for it to make it an easier search:
Printer:
1. epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.0.1-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
Scanner:
1. iscan-data_1.6.0-0_all.deb (#3 won't install without this one)
2. libltdl3_1.5.26-4+lenny1_i386.deb (#3 won't install without this one)
3. iscan_2.26.1-3_i386.deb

I have Linux Mint, but it's pretty much Ubuntu.
freusen

Post by freusen »

I have a Canon MX870 and it worked fine (printing and scanning) in LMDE-201009, now I installed a fresh copy of LMDE-201101 and the Canon MX870 works fine printing but not scanning. I installed the latest version of scangear, but I cann't get it working. Has any of you an idea or is it a bug?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Might want to make a new thread
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Anyone get a Microtek ScanMaster 4900 working?

dwflo
SeaJulien

Post by SeaJulien »

Hi,
I have a Brother DCP-130C multifunction printer, and just installed it on my new LMDE install.
It works fine except I need to be root to scan...
I know the instructions of editing a udev rule, but nor of the ones mentioned in the Brother documentation are on my /etc/udev/rules.d/
So does anybody knows what to change to make it working ?
Thanks...
allypink

Post by allypink »

Ok folks. Here's your chance. I need to get myself a photo scanner to scan old family photos for future security. What's the best scanner for Linux Mint 10?
I would like something that works out of the box and does good quality scans. There has to be one. I await your collective advise. :wink:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Try to check this too, if u mean hw:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
http://wize.com/reviews/best-scanner-linux

In generally, most HPs are ok.

If sw, 'simple scan' does its job however I always make other corrections/optimizations in Gimp ;)

Return to “Hardware Support”