After opening browser, mouse won't left or right click.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
alonewestand

After opening browser, mouse won't left or right click.

Post by alonewestand »

I found this to be a very odd error. The first couple of times I booted up LMDE everything was peachy (except flash video sound not working, but that's another tale). Today, I open up Thunderbird to grab a link to my e-mail and open up Firefox so I can go to said link. Only I find that I can't click the address bar, I can't click the close window button, I can't click the Linux Mint icon. The mouse jets around the screen as usual, but seems to receive "hey, click that" as "asdfk! fhkahfh!" and not know what to do. In other words, much like the topic title says, after I open either Firefox or Chromium, the mouse will not click in any fashion.

I did discover, however, that I could right click the panel after firefox was open and the menu came up. Then, voila, all function is restored to the mouse! It only took me three restarts to find that out, and the problem happens every time I open the browser, but at least I found a way around it... However I'd like to find out why this is happening and stop it. I know it isn't just Chromium or Firefox, because I launched both on different start-ups and they both had the same results. Also, once in the browser, in order to access the panel again, I have to right click in a field to be able to click back to the panel. All very strange.

EDIT:
The problem is not just in a browser. In Pidgin or Thunderbird or Terminal, any window, I will have to right click in a form in order to be able to minimize the window. There seems to be some error recognizing which window should be taking priority.

Oh, here is the lsusb if needed, though it definitely seems to be OS related in my very naive newbie perspective:

Code: Select all

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse Receiver
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:028e Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alonewestand

Re: After opening browser, mouse won't left or right click.

Post by alonewestand »

Nobody else experiencing this issue?
alonewestand

Post by alonewestand »

I mean there are people who developed this... They know things about it right? They can look at what's going on and give me some sort of insight. Or am I crazy?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Probably because most people don't experience a mouse problem in every application that the OS supports
--that would indicate a system problem, which usually don't appear on their own, especially since you said everything was working correctlty the first few boots..

Debian (LinuxMintDebianEdition) mouse setups, to check
http://panuganty.tripod.com/debiantips/mouse.htm
alonewestand

Post by alonewestand »

Well the only instance I could see it being a system issue in is if there was a problem with the initial installation. I dual boot Windows, and everything works 100% perfectly there. Here, even if I'm watching a flash video, if I want to fast forward or anything I have to right click on the window to open up a context menu and then click back into the application to be able to control anything. In order to go back to being able to click anything in the browser I have to right click the browser again.

I guess if worse comes to worse I can go with a fresh install.
porter

Post by porter »

I have the same problem. the mouse will work initially, but if i try to open another program it will start but i cannot click on anything. the right-click trick sometimes fixes it, but most often i just have to alt-f4 everything and start over to get my mouse back. i have debian lenny installed on another partition and i do not have this problem. is this a compiz or metacity issue? i do not have compiz running on lenny.
porter

Post by porter »

Update:
Uninstalled compiz, still have the same problem. There is one fix that seems to work most of the time - log out and log back in. Doing that usually gives me back full control of the mouse again.

So how do I get it to work on the first login?
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

There has been a few times my mouse has stopped working as well. Nothing not even let me move it. Log out then back in fixes it. Like the OP says no right click no left click it's only happened a few times so really don't remember if I can move it or not. But I'll be sure to keep a better eye as too what I was doing at the time.

James
porter

Post by porter »

I have fixed my mouse not working problem - I uninstalled all of the Mint sections in the package manager and now I have my mouse back without any problems.

Return to “LMDE Archive”