10 years on Linux, now switched to Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
v1nce

10 years on Linux, now switched to Mint

Post by v1nce »

Hello everyone,

Been on linux only for about 10 years (though i have a lot! to learn/still a newbie as far as low level and most CLI things). Last five years i have always used PCLinuxOS though i would occasionally briefly try out 3 to 10 distro's in live mode. Then PCLOS latest came out... KDE4... let me count the ways in which i do not like that windows manager. So i did another round of distro hopping and landed on Mint. Everything i hoped for was here. So very slick, intuitive, beautiful and fast as well, everything i didn't like about KDE4, mint/Gnome doesn't seem to have it. It is only been a few days but very very happy with this distro!

Still i am not trying to discredit PCLOS or any distro, they kept me Windows free for a decade! I loved most of their releases and their forum is an amazingly active, friendly and inclusive place, i still enjoy going there. I hope this forum will prove to be just as fun.

Besides Linux i am into Film, RPGs, skateboarding, left leaning politics, sustainability, voluntary frugality, downshifting, the Four Hour Work Week, great design, reading/books/writing, fixie, folding and touring bikes, music (place bass and guitar) and more. I am a bike mechanic and audio visual technician (beamers, lighting, editing and installations by trade. I am in my early thirties and live in The Hague. Good to be here! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: 10 years on Linux, now switched to Mint

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome Vince, glad to have you here. Sounds like you have a well rounded life away from the computer. You must have already hit here and decided to get some fresh air: http://www.wwwdotcom.com/
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to Mint
v1nce

Post by v1nce »

Thanks for the welcome you guys. I see you are also quite new to the forum Jesica? :)

As for work life balance/away from PC time, i fortunate that i can get by on 2 days or work a week. Nevertheless though i have many interests i have been known to spend 2 days straight on my PC trying to grok certain linux things, but that is rare.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello v1nce,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
v1nce

Post by v1nce »

Cheers Oscar, good suggestions, will do!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Yes, Welcome!

I think you fill find many types of users here as you find on other forums
  • Distro hoppers
  • Continuous experimenters
    --wants to have latest versions of applications
  • Command line junkies
    --dazzle you with their grasp of the shell
  • Users
    --only want to use the OS as a tool for other business/tasks..
I also quite liked PcLOS
deleted

Post by deleted »

Welcome vince. I spent 1 year in Potato/Woody, then went to Sid (sidux) for about 8 years when I went to 64bit. I came to Mint when KDE4 hit Sid. I had poked at Mint since Mint 4, but installed it for real with Mint 6 and haven't looked back. I'm currently at Mint 9, tho I'll install Mint 10 after I pass my work deadline. I use it as a primary development PC.
-Hinto
jesica

Post by jesica »

[quote="v1nce"]Thanks for the welcome you guys. I see you are also quite new to the forum Jesica? :)

nope, been using mint for 3 years just under a different username, wish I can just changed my username to a different one

it was Staffie before
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

jesica wrote:
nope, been using mint for 3 years just under a different username, wish I can just changed my username to a different one

it was Staffie before
Oh Hi Jesica, I've seen your other posts under Staffie all over. I thought maybe you were someone new also. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

Oscar was so kind to me and changed my username

Thanks Oscar :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”