Buy a Dell or build my own?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Buy a Dell or build my own?

Post by donlinux »

Curious for input from this society.
I'm going to be either building a new computer or buying one. My old compaq running Cassandra finally fried itself, and the $2.99 motherboard replacement from E-Bay didn't help.
Anyway, my question is this:
Is it better to buy a pre-built Linux/Ubuntu computer from Dell to show support and hopefully keep the linux boxes available there and elsewhere or should I just say the heck with it and build one from a barebones kit? If barebones, does anyone have recommendations for good linux friendly barebones kits?

I welcome all suggestions before making my final decision.

Thanks in advance for your valued input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Have you ever built a computer before?

You can have a lot of fun building your own box, and you can learn a lot.

But sometimes "learning experiences" can be costly.

Buying a Dell will give you a much easier warranty path if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong with your DIY box you may have a tougher time with warranty claims.

If you do decide to build your own, just stay away from the bleeding edge, stick with main stream brand name components and you may avoid issues.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Pre-Built, Life's too short, why do you need to know how to build a computer?
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Built a few computers in my life and am comfortable doing so. I guess it's more of the idea of is it worth it to spend the extra money to try and promote linux via Dell or am I just supporting a short term "test" from Dell.

Return to “Hardware Support”