Debian Killed NTFS - HELP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrDX

Debian Killed NTFS - HELP

Post by MrDX »

I went to install Debian and it started to overwrite the windows NTFS system. As soon as I saw it happening (about 15 seconds) I killed the install.

How can I fix or retrieve the data I need from that drive. Can it be done?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Debian Killed NTFS - HELP

Post by oobetimer »

MrDX wrote:I went to install Debian and it started to overwrite the windows NTFS system. As soon as I saw it happening (about 15 seconds) I killed the install.

How can I fix or retrieve the data I need from that drive. Can it be done?

Thanks
Restore the partition table..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestDisk
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Debian Killed NTFS - HELP

Post by Midnighter »

I've had something like this happen, wasn't paying attention, did a full format of an ext3 drive into NTFS. Wasn't til an hour or so later when i realised why it was taking so long (1TB driver, instead of the 80GB one). Booted from live3 cd, installed testdisk, and ran it to do full recovery of the partition. Takes a while, but I got every single thing restored.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Installation & Boot”